The orange day

Yesterday we had an orange day. It\’s the strangest looking thing – you look outside and everything has an orange tinge to it. I feel like I live in the Twilight zone.

The husband told me he is feeling tired. I think he\’s starting to get a bit down as well. Both he and I have not gone to the gym now in 2 days. Sometimes I think, \”why  bother?\” It\’s not like it\’s doing me any good. I still look like an old lady. I guess just working my cardiovascular is something good.

Monday I go in to see the Ophthamoglist about my cataracts. I am told by others who have had it done, they see so well. One gal though was disappointed with how old she looked. That\’s what I am not looking forward to.

Mirrors

I look my best when I get out of the shower, and the mirror is all fogged up – I look, dreamy. My complexion looks smooth but then, the inevitable happens and the mirror dries off and I am left with what I really look like.  I like myself best when my eyeglasses are off.  I look good when I see myself through my blurred cataract eyes.  I was thinking, how do we even know what we REALLY look like? Photos add more pounds on. Some dressing room mirrors, I look awful while others I look pretty good. The reflections from a clean window I look okay. I have a couple of mirrors in my home, where I look better than the other. It must be the lighting. I\’m almost to the point of getting rid of them altogether; except for the bathrooms.

I must be bored if I am sitting around wondering about mirrors so I did a little research:

Different lighting

The lighting setting can change a person’s looks a great deal depending on how the light falls on the face and body. Because mirrors are present in different places, they can result in totally different images because of the difference in lighting settings.
 Mirrors have different types
There are two major different types of mirrors. Mirrors with the metal on the front and Mirrors with the metal on the back. Both Mirrors can give different images since they reflect light in different ways.
 Different refractive bending of the light
The different components used in the mirror can either result in less or more refractive bending of the light and so in a different image. If the mirror’s glass is replaced by plastic or if the glass is thinner, a different image might show up as a result.

The quality of the glass
The quality of the front and back surface of the glass can make a big difference in the image seen in the mirror. Low-quality surfaces might distort or blur the image. The glass doesn’t have a coating If the mirror’s glass doesn’t have a coating to reduce the reflection on the front face, the resulting image might be different, and in some cases, a double image might show up.
 The mirror is old
Old mirrors might reflect different images as a result of wear in the glass surface or the metallic part.
  Mirrors at clothing stores are different
The mirrors used in some clothing stores might be designed to make a person look good. If the mirrors are more flattering, the person is more likely to buy clothes from the shop.
  The surroundings make a difference
The surroundings can change the way the light is reflected, and so result in a different image. The color of the walls, curtains, and the way light falls on them can result in different images.
  The density of metal
If the mirror contains less iron, the image might look better. The iron in the mirror can give a faint greenish tinge to the skin.
  The size of the room
The size of the room that has the mirror can result in different images because of the way the light is reflected. A small room could give a different image than a large room even if the same mirror was used.
  The size of the mirror
The size of the mirror can result in a very different look. Car mirrors, for example, usually make people look different.
  The mirror is bent
Most mirrors bend over time. The bending can result in a change in the way the light is reflected, and so the resulting image might be very different.
Summary: So after reading all of that, I am convinced we don\’t really know what we look like. We have a rough idea but only the ones we see every day, see the real us. Yep, it\’s time to get rid of those mirrors and live in la-la land.

15 thoughts on “The orange day

1. Anonymous August 14, 2021 / 1:08 pm

I never knew that about mirrors. I agree that we don't really know what we look like. I don't want to see the extra pounds or wrinkles either!

2. Anonymous August 14, 2021 / 4:06 pm

Oh Debby, yesterday we had a PINK day. Come by on Monday and see my pictures. You're right, it was so strange. I know what you mean aboutmirror – we look differently depending on what mirror and lighting weare using. I hope the fires are not too close to your area, Debby.Be safe.~Sheri

3. Anonymous August 14, 2021 / 5:43 pm

I find that the older I get, the more attractive I find older women. Not sure if that is reciprocal with the older women.

4. Anonymous August 14, 2021 / 8:18 pm

Guess I'm a strange bird. I don't look in the glass very often. That probably shows that I really don't care. I'm so accustomed to being athletic, and all that entailes, that looking in the mirror is pointless. It can all change in a moments notice anyway. *lol*I hope your Orange Days are coming to an end soon. Praying for rain.Blessings. xx

5. Anonymous August 14, 2021 / 9:09 pm

That orange glow must be eerie. I avoid looking in mirrors.Love,Janie

6. Anonymous August 14, 2021 / 9:33 pm

Thanks for the information on mirrors. I agree with you about not really seeing a true image of ones self….I dress, do my hair and makeup and leave the house and feel pretty good…..but when I catch a glimpse of myself, say in a mall or restaurant mirror…..I think…..’yikes! …what the heck happened on the way here?’ So. I just try not to look…..ignorance is bliss, they say. Wishing you a smoke free weekend. V

7. Anonymous August 15, 2021 / 4:08 pm

There was a Travis Tritt music video of a couple who were quite homely and ordinary but they were very glamorous in the mirror they looked into. It was his song Ten feet tall and bulletproof. I'm afraid I don't like my pictures because they I have to face white hair, etc. So I don't know what I see in the mirror. But that is interesting about mirrors.

8. Anonymous August 15, 2021 / 6:43 pm

Yes, time to get rid of all mirrors.

9. Anonymous August 15, 2021 / 6:44 pm

We're good. We're mostly effected by the smoke.

10. Anonymous August 15, 2021 / 6:45 pm

Some old guys are attractive – it just depends. I find really old guys, old enough to be my parents age, seem to like me and flirt with me. At the Veterans Home, you still have to be careful with these guys.

11. Anonymous August 15, 2021 / 6:47 pm

One day I will post about how I was raised by my mom. She wanted her 2 daughters to be princesses. It was all about appearance. I shed all of that ideology years ago but I still check the mirror before I go out. It's a curse.

12. Anonymous August 15, 2021 / 6:47 pm

Mirrors are not our friend anymore.

13. Anonymous August 15, 2021 / 6:48 pm

Oh so true. Like what the heck happened? I'm all for ignorance is bliss. It's the key to a happy life.

14. Anonymous August 15, 2021 / 6:49 pm

I'll have to look up that song. Sounds interesting

15. Anonymous August 15, 2021 / 10:31 pm

I rarely looking in the mirror during a day, except of a morning when I apply my face cream