Debby Downer reporting in

The smoke and hot weather are getting to me. I try not to let it bother me but it\’s there – I can see it and I can smell it. My husband is working an extra night, to let some volunteer firefighters get an extra day.

I want to pull up all my dead flowers which are a constant reminder as I look out my window – but it\’s too hot and smoky. I\’ve been coughing and feeling dizzy. I need to call our HVAC company to give us a quote for a whole-house air purifier. Last year they quoted is about $500-600. It has to be done.

I\’ve been working out every day at the gym to try and curb my anxiety and boredom from being cooped up due to the fires and smoke and freaking hot weather. Because of that, I sure do sleep solid at night. Like a rock! I don\’t even take a day off. I work myself to exhaustion and I feel good until it wears off, then I am back to nothing.

Monday we took Char to the local (no-kill) shelter to drop off a cat that she had been feeding. I kept telling her she needs to get the cat fixed. Char just loved feeding the cat without the responsibility. Okay, I get that. She loved being appreciated by the cat. Well the cat, who she named Lilly, is pregnant. She is a little older than 1 year and this is her second litter. So we caught Lilly, and she stayed in Char\’s apartment as to not lose her, Sat and Sun and called early Monday morning, and fortunately, the shelter had room, which was a small miracle since so many animals are coming in from the fires. Char said she had learned her lesson. There are a lot of feral and homeless cats in her area – The poor cat had an ear infection, a cyst, or a boil and was infested with fleas. She\’s in good hands now.

Tomorrow is our day to do something – go somewhere but we\’re at a loss as to where to go. Parts of I-5 are closed or down to one lane. Like I said before, there are fires on all three sides of us, and where there isn\’t fire there is smoke and bad air. I like to get out and do things. Shopping doesn\’t turn me on. Going out to dinner doesn\’t turn me on. We already went to the movies last week – wasn\’t impressed. I need nature. I don\’t want to go into an urban area to visit.  I like being up here except for the fires. I can\’t even go swimming – everything is closed down.

So, yeah I\’m complaining. I can\’t be happy go lucky all the time. I am at the point where I have to force myself to do anything. I just want to sit and stare. That\’s not good. I did talk with my old best friend, in the bay area the other morning and she is having some of her own issues so misery loves company and so we both enjoyed our misery together.

I wish I loved shopping and spending money. I don\’t enjoy it at all.

One good thing – we still haven\’t bought gasoline yet! We have 168 miles left for the gas. It\’s a good thing too, gas is at $4.49. We\’ve made 6 payments on the car. We should have it paid off by early next year. It\’s not as much as you think – the car payment is $210 due to the huge down payment. Plus my husband\’s part-time job is helping to knock it down and pay it off asap. I\’m pleased about that!

Tomorrow before we do anything, I do have to go and pick up the senior brown bag and bring it to Margie. It\’s a long line and we sit in our vehicles. It opens at around 8am but I usually get there at around 7:15 am.

That\’s all I have to say for now – basically the same old thing. Nothing new under the smoky sun.

12 thoughts on “Debby Downer reporting in

1. Anonymous August 12, 2021 / 4:33 am

What a difficult summer for you! All that smoke is horrible. I know how hard it is to distract yourself from something that prevalent.Love,Janie

2. Anonymous August 12, 2021 / 4:22 pm

My goodness, Debby, I think I would complain, too! I can't imagine. The heat wave here in Oklahoma has been brutal but having to deal with the smoke would do me in. Praying for relief.Grace & Peace,Pam

3. Anonymous August 12, 2021 / 5:27 pm

Gosh, so sorry things are so hot and smoky there. I pray it's all over soon, so, y'all can get out and enjoy that lovely countryside. That summer we experienced that it seemed so long, boring and tedious. And I hope the HVAC fellow can help quickly. Nothing like good A/C in the summer. I don't like shopping nor spending money either. Maybe work on your genealogy on-line? Stream old movies to the TV from YouTube or whatever (we use Chromecast)? I love the old movies. Haven't watched a new one in donkey's years. *lol*Sending cool thoughts & lots of prayers for better days to you all. xx

4. Anonymous August 12, 2021 / 8:35 pm

You sure are having a rough time in Ca between the excessive heat and the fire smoke. We are also having a heat wave here in New England where temps are going into the mid 90s, still cooler than yours. Yes, it's OK to rant that nothing is new, but the same old because some days/weeks it's like that.

5. Anonymous August 12, 2021 / 10:05 pm

Same old thing is normal for many of us a bloody great post

6. Anonymous August 12, 2021 / 11:56 pm

I'll be glad when the rains come to the West Coast. The fires have been bad on the news. We normally get a lot of rain in Georgia. I'm learning my mother doesn't like rain. I am a rain loving person so that was a big surprise for me. My mom will complain about the rain then say well at least it's not burning outside. We have fires too but not at the scale California has.

7. Anonymous August 13, 2021 / 5:40 pm

Thank you Pam. Today the sky is orange.

8. Anonymous August 13, 2021 / 5:42 pm

I have plenty of things I could do – I lack motivation like I am stuck. I need to snap out of it.

9. Anonymous August 13, 2021 / 5:43 pm

I'm sure that is hot where you are at due to the humidity. I don't do humidity and hot temps. AT least it is sunny where you are at

10. Anonymous August 13, 2021 / 5:43 pm

Yeah normal is better than many people have it.

11. Anonymous August 13, 2021 / 5:45 pm

I like the rain. Sure there are times when maybe I want to go somewhere and it rains I might complain but on the whole, Rain is a blessing and I appreciate it more than I used to as a kid.