Finally August…

I usually post photos of my sunflowers on my other blog but this totally exemplifies how I feel by the time August rolls in.

I am spent.

Done with hot weather – done with fires – done with smoke. I\’m done, having to plan everything in the early mornings. I\’m sick of food too. I\’m looking forward to stews and soups.

I grew up in the Bay Area where summers are cooler. We could always count on that summer fog to roll in and cool us off. It was never too hot to grill – and with the exception of a few days, you could still get outside to play and garden all day. Lately, we\’re in by 11am to noon at the latest.

Speaking of gardens – mine is pretty much dead with the drought and all. We\’ve cut down our watering to about once, maybe twice a week. Just a few sunflowers left. I\’m waiting till it gets a bit cooler so I can just pull everything up.

We just visited Trinity county the other day and now a new fire is roaring – (dry lightning)  claiming over 3000 acres. It is southwest of Weaverville by about 48 miles. It is in rugged terrain. I tell my sons every time they go backpacking in the backcountry to always take plenty of photos. Every year it changes.

13 thoughts on “Finally August…

1. Anonymous August 1, 2021 / 9:17 pm

Can you believe, your wildfires affect/effect us here in Western NY? (Or is it the Canadian fires? dunno) ANYWAYS, I am so done with summer (too which I am NOT a summer girl). Looking forward to fall and winter. I love winter; snow and all. grin.

2. Anonymous August 1, 2021 / 11:36 pm

THat's a really cool photo!I'm not ready for August, but I don't deal with your heat. August to me means cold weather will be coming soon and that's not good!

3. Anonymous August 2, 2021 / 1:38 am

One of my tomato plants died after only a few tomatoes. I think I overwatered it. It is now as brown as my thumb.

4. Anonymous August 2, 2021 / 12:16 pm

I know, it's only the beginning of August, but I'll already done with it. Time to move on to Fall. We're land-locked too being 50 miles from the East Coast. I grew up within a gnat's eyelash of the Atlantic Ocean. I miss the cool, salty breezes that would blow across the waves this time of year. Anyway, thank heavens (literally) it's been raining a lot this Summer. I'm very grateful. God is so merciful. Hope y'all can stay cool.Blessings. xx

5. Anonymous August 2, 2021 / 9:53 pm

I love the way you photographed this sunflower. Where I live I see sunflower pictures all the time on Facebook since we have fields all around so I am kind of bored with them. This one has such a different perspective which makes it interesting to me.

6. Anonymous August 3, 2021 / 12:22 am

Thank you – glad you find it interesting.

7. Anonymous August 3, 2021 / 12:24 am

Yes I heard that it was reaching the east coast. I was a summer girl when I was young – not so much anymore. But I do always start summer with such HOPE which is soon dashed due to extreme heat and wildfire.

8. Anonymous August 3, 2021 / 12:24 am

Nice photo…………….

9. Anonymous August 3, 2021 / 12:28 am

AT least with cold weather you can bundle up. It doesn't get that cold here – There has been a few times when we've had artic blasts and we got down into the teens. But we all weathered it knowing it won't last. Winters here are on average 40's to 50's except up in the mountains.

10. Anonymous August 3, 2021 / 12:28 am

Ha, yeah my tomatoes did not produce much this year either.

11. Anonymous August 3, 2021 / 12:29 am

I do miss those ocean breezes

12. Anonymous August 4, 2021 / 1:49 pm

I noticed a neighbor has sunflowers but I guess it's too late for me to plant now. Yours are beautiful!The fires are horrific; I suppose no matter where we live there's always things to watch out for; here in FL of course the hurrcanes.xoxo

13. Anonymous August 5, 2021 / 11:05 pm

If You are in Florida, I'd plant them anyway. Last year I had sunflowers still in December! They are hardy and as long as they get their required amount of full sun, they should be fine.