California Living

We\’ve cooled down to 108 today – and this morning I did see some high 90\’s within the next couple of days. I read this morning we went 27 days back in 2017 of over 100+ heat. I remember it. It was actually 27 days over 105+

Right now we\’re having a Flex Alert – setting our AC\’s to 78 and turning off appliances, and lights from 4pm to 9pm. There was some fire up in Oregon that affected our electrical grid plus the heat – I wonder how many people are actually \”flexing.\”

If I was the Queen of California, I would be nice and sweet of course and everyone would love me – but I would lead and I would make it mandatory that we water ration. Instead, Gavin is encouraging people to voluntarily cut back by 15%. Come on Dude, we\’re in a water crisis – we\’ve all done it before – it\’s not like we\’re rookies. I know why he doesn\’t want to make it mandatory…

Shhh, it\’s because of the Sept. Recall Election.

I\’m asking you all – Does your state or country have these issues? I\’m in a California bubble I know but this can\’t be just happening here. Texas had its issues this past spring with its electrical grid. My first experience with water rationing was back in 1977-1978. It happened every year I was potty training one of my sons or when I was pregnant or had a baby. The old saying back then was:

If it\’s pee, let it be, if it\’s brown flush it down.

We didn\’t flush at night – and every time someone would come over, we\’d all scramble to check the toilet had been flushed. We at least flushed for company! Many times, when we had friends over they, too would ask, \”should we flush?\” So this odd behavior wasn\’t just at my house.

But when I look back, it was fun. Still, good memories were made. To this day, I still only take a 5-minute shower if that long. Of course, there are exceptions.

So I can conserve with the best of them and potty train little boys all at the same time!

California just isn\’t the same as it used to be and that makes me sad. The daughter of my former best friend who died back in 2016 was out here selling her Grandmother\’s home. She herself, and her young family recently moved to Wisconsin after her grandmother died last year to be with her uncle and his family and set up roots in a new state. The house sold (or is pending)  for 2 million. That\’s crazy. It\’s not a mansion or anything.  3 bedroom, 2.5 baths, 2030 square feet. Lana\’s dad worked at United airlines back in the day – her mom was a stay-at-home Mom. They bought the place for under $20,000 in the mid-1950s.  I checked it out online and it made me sad, looking through the rooms – the kitchen and yard. Good times were had there.

Heck, the house I lived in for 22 years is listed on Zillow for over $1 million. That\’s even crazier. 1100 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, and a 1 car garage. It\’s location, location, location. I was 15 minutes from SFO and 20 minutes from San Jose Airport. 20 minutes from San Francisco. It was a wonderful place to live and raise my boys back then. Now it\’s congested due to the encroachment of Silicon Valley. I don\’t enjoy visiting anymore.

I don\’t mean to be a Debby-Downer – Just a little sad that my friend is gone, her mom has passed – the house is sold –  it\’s all history now.

9 thoughts on “California Living

1. Anonymous July 13, 2021 / 3:06 am

We lived in San Marino in the early 50's. It was a wonderful place, close to the ocean and boat trips to Catalina Island. Great memories. I visited my son a few years back, in Santa Monica. I will never go back. Some areas were very nice, some were degusting.

2. Anonymous July 13, 2021 / 3:31 am

I always set my AC on 79. It's what I can afford. Although it's hot and humid where I am, it's not as hot as where you are. We don't have a problem with water, although The Man and I were bemoaning the way people around here scream that we're having a drought if it doesn't rain for a week or so. The water in Lake Junebug tells me we definitely do not have problems with drought. After the big chill in Texas, our electric company sent out notices about preparing the electric grid for big problems because our climate is similar to that of Houston. I'm sure you would be an excellent Queen of California.Love,Janie

3. Anonymous July 13, 2021 / 6:57 pm

No flexing in Georgia that I know of. Nor in Florida when we lived there. We've got plenty of power and water. I've got the A/C set on 72* during the day, 69* at night and we're in the low 90s now.The expression I heard was, \”If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.\” Same thing different words. *grin*You'd make a better Monarch than that Gov. y'all got. The only bad thing about being powerful is the old expression, \”Absolute power corrupts absolutely.\” Too many in politics prove that. I sure don't want it. I'd probably be having a few people disappear. (Just kidding. It's the heat.) My husband would be a good servant to the people. He's kinder than me.When we had DirecTV one of my favorite programs was Flip or Flop there in LA, I think? Or maybe Orange County. Anyway, I noticed how outrageous the prices were then. Seems like average people couldn't afford to live there anymore, if they even wanted to. Crime is WAY outta control I see on the news. I pray that can be corrected soon.Y'all stay cool and safe!Blessings. xx

4. Anonymous July 13, 2021 / 7:26 pm

We are trying to not use as much energy here in Idaho to avoid rolling blackouts.o

5. Anonymous July 13, 2021 / 8:51 pm

Wow I'd freeze in your house. I keep my AC at about 75/76 during the day and that is comfortable for me or my bones ache.

6. Anonymous July 13, 2021 / 8:53 pm

It usually depends on what the outside temp is – but I've been keeping it at 75/76. I don't like it so cold that my bones ache. I utilize my ceiling fans and that helps.

7. Anonymous July 13, 2021 / 8:54 pm

My husband was born in Long Beach and lived in San Pedro. It's not nice like it used to be.

8. Anonymous July 13, 2021 / 9:36 pm

Water restrictions ae normal here not flushing was something we had to learn to do it was considered more important in the days before the half flush was a thing.