Heat Pumps, lost keys and a senior moment

So what else is new under the HOT DRY sun here?

Just the same old heat but a little cooler today at 111. No 90\’s in the 10-day forecast. The fire in our county, Salt Fire have lifted all evacuations and it\’s burned 12,650 acres with a 70% containment. The smoke conditions are improving each day.

Fortunately, Navy said someone cancelled and moved them up on the list and they were able to get their AC fixed on Friday. But they do need a whole new system. Apparently, it is not an HVAC like I have – they have a Heat Pump Air Conditioner. I never heard of that before.

Using a heat pump vs AC is a more environmentally-friendly way of heating and cooling your house. Geothermal heat pumps can be especially energy-efficient. Heat pumps don’t generate heat, they simply move it from one place to another, which can be a more cost-efficient way to cool your home. In the summer, heat pumps will move the warm air outside, leaving your house cool. In the winter, the opposite will happen and your heat pump will warm your house instead.

Margie has her new computer now – and she loves it. My husband and our friend went up there yesterday to do some stuff – My husband fixed a porch light that burned out and Josh tried to fix the settings on her satellite. Margie has taken care of and been a blessing to us and others for years – after her husband passed away (they were 2 peas in a pod) she was lost but is just now starting to enjoy life again.  She has 2 grown kids and grandchildren that are young adults – but she says they are too busy and she hates to call them for help. Many elderly feel that way. All those years, taking care of them – they hate to have to be cared for by their children and grandchildren.

LOST KEYS

Saturday, Char was out galavanting around in the heat – without water and she hadn\’t eaten breakfast or lunch. She says she forgets – we get really upset with her on this. I fear one day we will get a phone call of her collapsing in the heat. Well, she called me in a panic, because she lost her house keys. For some reason she never places her keys in her purse  – she holds onto them. She doesn\’t need to as she doesn\’t drive or have a car.  She was holding them when she took the bus – she was holding them when she got her haircut and she was holding them when she was shopping at Walmart. Obviously holding your keys don\’t cut it. She went backtracked everywhere she had gone to, and they were nowhere to be found. She left her information at customer service.  Meanwhile, it\’s 115 degrees and she\’s stuck at Walmart. We have a key – so it all worked out – I picked her up and dropped her off at her apartment. She tends to fret and worry so I always have to break these things down for her to calm her.

1. It\’s not the end of the world – we have a spare key –
  2. just call the property management for a new mailbox key.
  3. Be prepared you may have to put down another deposit for the key
  4. She lost her free bus pass on her key ring she gets every month – so she may have to pay for the bus, this month.
One day, Navy and Foodie will have to look out for her when we are either too old or dead. She doesn\’t have friends she can trust.
MY SENIOR MOMENT
I had a senior moment on Friday when I went to the grocery store – I forgot my pin number for my debit card. I don\’t use checks – did not have enough cash and tried 3 unsuccessful times before I was locked out of the atm machine.  So they placed my cart in the cooler and my husband had to come down and pay while I called the bank to get my pin number unlocked. All you can do is laugh about it. Of course, as soon as I got into my car, I magically remembered the pin number but it was too late. I was already locked out. That\’s a first! I\’ve forgotten it before but remember on the 2nd try.

18 thoughts on “Heat Pumps, lost keys and a senior moment

1. Anonymous July 11, 2021 / 10:28 pm

I've forgotten things like that before – so frustrating!111! I couldn't handle it. It's 74 here. My sister has a heat pump and they really like it. Glad Navy's is getting fixed. And glad you could help Char.

2. Anonymous July 12, 2021 / 1:00 am

I have at least five codes to remember and I have no idea how many passwords.

3. Anonymous July 12, 2021 / 1:11 am

Getting old is so entertaining. Just this week I forgot to put the pot in the coffee maker when I turned it on. And then stood waiting for my toast before I realized I never put bread in the toaster.

4. Anonymous July 12, 2021 / 6:17 am

I love the two photos ….although the cat one is sadly becoming a bit of a reality….reality. You’ve been very busy! Stay cool 😎. xo, V

5. Anonymous July 12, 2021 / 6:47 am

I guess holding the keys might be some kind of security blanket for Char. I just got an Echo Dot and was able to give it the time each day that it should remind me to take my medicine and start cooking my supper. I don't forget, but I let the time slip by until all of a sudden I realize I haven't done things I should have done hours before. Would it help Char if she had something to remind her?Love,Janie

6. Anonymous July 12, 2021 / 11:35 am

Debby,Love the picture of the fan melting..I have no idea how you survive heat over a hundred…I can not take heat over 90 and the humidity that we get here is enough to kill me…I did have to chuckle at your senior moment… So sorry about that…Thanks so much for stopping by!! Have a great week!!Hugs,Debbie

7. Anonymous July 12, 2021 / 11:52 am

Sounds like it's never a dull moment in your 'hood.Poor Char. Tell her I put my keys on a carabiner. Then I clip it to my belt loop. Can't get lost that way and they're really handy. Oh, and be sure to put a label or tag somewhere on the ring with a name and phone number (not address) so someone may be contacted if they do get lost. Temps have risen here in SE Georgia but it is mid-July. It's actually quite \”mild\” for this time of year. Humidity is high which means afternoon thunder storms have become a regular event, which is a good thing. Droughts are scary and the fires that happen with them. We have so much forest around us.Speaking of senior moments … eh, now, what was I saying? *lol*Blessings. xx

8. Anonymous July 12, 2021 / 6:55 pm

I am located a few hours south of you and we have been having temperatures almost as close as yours. Do you spend any time at Shasta or Whiskeytown lake to beat the heat?I can relate on the not wanting to call family for household help. I don't have a husband or children. My dad used to be the one I called but at 85 and not in good health anymore he cannot do it. My brothers are around and will help me anytime I call but I hate to call them because they have their own homes and children to help besides all three of us are trying to help out our parents as well. Neither can drive anymore and both have problems. The key thing I understand as well. I catch myself carrying my keys in my hand instead of putting them in my purse anytime I get out of the car. Bad habit for sure. Pin number: lol, more than once I have put in the total of my groceries when the cashier says it out loud instead of my pin number. If I have to actually think about my pin number I sometimes draw a blank.

9. Anonymous July 12, 2021 / 9:35 pm

Lost keys can send many into a tiss people like Char may over react or people like 20yr old me…………..Of course you remembered the pin when in the car.

10. Anonymous July 13, 2021 / 12:48 am

Its more energy efficient.

11. Anonymous July 13, 2021 / 12:49 am

Too many pins and passwords to remember.

12. Anonymous July 13, 2021 / 12:50 am

I'm staying cool indoors.

13. Anonymous July 13, 2021 / 12:51 am

That's an excellent idea for Char, Janie. Thanks. You are right it is a security thing for her.

14. Anonymous July 13, 2021 / 12:52 am

I melt when its humid – I can't handle it.

15. Anonymous July 13, 2021 / 12:53 am

That's a good idea about her phone number on a tag.

16. Anonymous July 13, 2021 / 12:55 am

Whiskeytown Lake is my \”go-2 Lake\”.