The night, my other personality took over

I am a quiet peaceful person; at least I try to be. I do try to seek peace at all costs but that doesn\’t mean I am a weenie!

On the 4th of July, I ended up having the family over for a BBQ – since Navy and Sara\’s AC is out. I gave my dog, Laydee her Trazadone as prescribed by her vet. Actually, I was supposed to give it to her 48 hours before and spaced out and started it 24 hours before. I don\’t know if that lessened the effect.

All was well – she was relaxed and enjoying her family when at 9pm, my neighbors in the back of me started shooting off illegal fireworks in their backyard. I could see sparks flying over the fence and they were LOUD. Cherry bombs, M-80\’s, etc.

Laydee started shaking like a leaf – and I am extremely protective of my family which includes my fur babies. I jumped up, and ran to the back yard and yelled up at them,

\”Don\’t do your illegal fireworks in the back yard\”

They yelled back to me,

\”Mind your own business, Bitch.\”

and they continued with the fireworks. They were the only ones firing them off. When I get mad, I revert back to the old days of my youth, and I start using the good old 4-letter word which never fails me but afterward, I feel like I embarrassed myself by losing my cool. It was like I had a dual personality disorder and her name was Karen!

We bantered back and forth for a couple of minutes if that and finally I told them I was calling the police.

I marched inside and called the police on them and they sent out the fire department.

My adult kids thought I was right; they love me. Both Sara and Char have never seen me lose my temper.

I haven\’t heard a peep out of them since. It\’s a measly $250 fine and I have no idea if they were fined or just warned but these are the neighbors who set them off on New Year\’s Eve at midnight this past year. We were in bed and it sounded like they were in our backyard. My dog shook for hours. They are the main reason I had to trank her this year.

I\’m not proud that I had to do that. I don\’t normally turn people in, but we\’ve got a major fire 30 miles or so up the road, we are parched from drought and we\’re in the triple digits – there is no excuse for it. Not to mention, it\’s not good for the environment – the poor birds and wild animals must react similarly to my dog. Susie my cat, didn\’t seem to mind as long as I was near.

Normally I would just look the other way but until this happened, no one had been setting off fireworks in my subdivision until they started at 9pm. And because people tend to follow other people, I started hearing others as well.

Plus they had children there – and teens and the adults allowed the children to shout back at me, and call me names. They don\’t even know me, because I do my own thing and I don\’t bother anyone. Until that night.

Oh well – it\’s over and done with. I\’m sure they will now pump up their music even louder when they have their pool parties. Such good role modeling adult behavior.

22 thoughts on “The night, my other personality took over

1. Anonymous July 7, 2021 / 5:56 pm

Yeah for you, Debby, and in my humble opinion and for what it's worth, you did the right thing and for all the reasons you mentioned: heat, fire threat, drought, frightening your pet, disturbing your peace and most likely that of others as well. And, if the music becomes too loud later this summer perhaps your town has a noise ordinance as well. Some people simply do not have good manners or brains. You certainly have nothing to fell bad about.

2. Anonymous July 7, 2021 / 6:59 pm

Good for you acting on it! So many complain and don't do anything! You are my hero!!Hugs,Deb

3. Anonymous July 7, 2021 / 7:12 pm

I don't blame you at all! Some people seem to think the world revolves around them and they can do whatever the heck they want with no repercussions. I'm glad you did what you did!xoxo

4. Anonymous July 7, 2021 / 7:23 pm

I would have done exactly as you did ~ Kudos & Hugs!

5. Anonymous July 7, 2021 / 9:33 pm

You're nicer than me. I would not have told them to stop. I would have called the authorities on them and allow them to take care of it. I don't warn people when they are in the wrong. It is not that I don't care for fireworks. It is the fact that they could have burned down a few homes and started a fire that bothers me.

6. Anonymous July 7, 2021 / 10:08 pm

Had to laugh. Sorry. I think you and are related. *lol* Whenever I occasionally lose my cool, one of \”those words\” surfaces and I feel so ashamed afterwards. *sigh* I hope the neighbors will behave and y'all can at least be civil. And this makes me especially thankful to not have neighbors anymore. I don't play well with others. We've got TS Elsa passing by as I \”pen\” these words. All this rain of late has been lovely. Wish we could share some of it with y'all.Blessings. xx

7. Anonymous July 7, 2021 / 10:27 pm

Oh yeah I get the other personality come out it wouldd for most of us and some people drive us to snap.

8. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 2:57 am

Don't feel one bit guilty for calling the police on these idiots. You're in a drought and they should know better. They should have better sense. Every neighborhood has at least one family like that. They think they can do what they want. They sound like horrible people, even allowing the kids to call you bad names. Poor Laydee, she was scared, that's why you went full on Karen on them. Again, they should know better. I swear they need to be outlawed these friggin fireworks. What you should have done when they started setting them off was turn your hose on full blast on them and their fireworks. What a bunch of idiots!

9. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 3:08 am

What awful people. I would have called, too. Fireworks are unacceptable with fire a real and immediate danger.Love,Janie

10. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 3:15 am

My wife, Karen BTW, loves fireworks, the show up and down our beach goes on for hours, quite spectacular actually, but most of it is done professionally. I can take it for an hour then it gets boring, and some people shoot off the stuff after midnight and later. It does annoy me and i don't have a dog. In the backyard when there is a fire hazard in your area? Calling the cops was the right thing to do. Living in a tinder box, lives are at stake.

11. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 4:36 am

May I please amend my previous comment?? I would NOT have yelled at them, given the awful mentality in this country right now. I would have simply called 911, and have let them deal with them. That way, you wouldn't have been in their sites.Sad comment on American mores, but that is just the way it is ~

12. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 7:52 pm

Thanks. I'm glad I did it. It's always hard when you have to do something you really don't want to do.

13. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 7:52 pm

True. I always follow through on my threats.

14. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 7:53 pm

Thanks – I'm feeling emPOWERED! lol

15. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 7:53 pm

I had to make my stand.

16. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 7:54 pm

Next time, I won't bother to tell them – I will just call the authorities. I figure they've already been warned once.

17. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 7:55 pm

I wish I didn't have neighbors and lived out in the country. That's not going to happen at this stage of the game.

18. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 7:56 pm

Ha, its funny you mentioned the hose because I was going to but my son said that I could get into trouble. Whatever!

19. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 7:57 pm

and especially in the backyard

20. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 7:59 pm

Oh that's right, you are married to a Karen. LOL. That's okay, I know some good Karens. Fireworks that are done professionally are fine – but to me, they are the same every year – you've seen one firework show, you basically have seen them all to last a lifetime. The street kind, I absolutely hate. They're illegal and of course people who buy them are not going to follow protocol. They get wild and crazy like they are children. The whole thing makes me want to growl…

21. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 8:00 pm

I'm not concerned. My husband is my pit bull. I'm sure we'll be fine.