The smoke is upon us

Just off Interstate 5

This morning I went out and sat on the patio in the backyard and I started smelling smoke. I checked to see if it was a new fire but no, it\’s from the Salt Fire which is about 26 miles north of us. This one was started by a vehicle. When I say 26 miles – it may sound close but the fire personnel does their best to contain the side closer to a town and fortunately, the wind is not blowing our way. I\’m not worried at all.

The smoke was getting thicker as the morning went on – so it\’s inside the house today, as well as back to wearing the n95 masks for any extended time outside. I\’ll stay home, thank you.

My friend Margie who I help out – she has a swamp cooler instead of an AC. It really doesn\’t work when it gets too hot. She really needs to get a window unit.

When we picked up the tent trailer and they told us there was dry rot and mildew on the sub-flooring and the roof. Not bad but that will be included in our renovations and has to be done before we get the canvas tent back, sometime in December.  We plan to open it up and let the hot sun bake it for a couple of days before we start.  I still wish we had bought a trailer instead but it will be nice once we get it all done and ready for 2022.

The husband told me that he has accepted more hours – he\’s working 30 hours a week. I told him, finally that when he told me he wanted a part-time job, I was thinking 15 to 20 hours a week. He assures me, once we pay off the car he will either quit or drastically cut down the hours.

California gas tax went up again, yesterday – but I don\’t have to concern myself with it – we still haven\’t filled up our gas tank yet in the new car. We still have a full tank and boy can I tell the difference in my monthly expenses.

14 thoughts on “The smoke is upon us

1. Anonymous July 2, 2021 / 9:47 pm

It will be nice when the new wheels are paid off early. I'm doing that on a smaller scale by paying more on principal every month. Debt makes me nervous. Hope those fires and smoke stay way away from y'all.Blessings. xx

2. Anonymous July 3, 2021 / 12:29 am

I can't imagine living with those fires popping up all the time!30 hours is a lot. I guess it's nice that he can pick up and drop hours though.Yay for not filling the gas tank too!

3. Anonymous July 3, 2021 / 4:59 am

I had to Google swamp cooler. It must be hard to live there without central air.Love,Janie

4. Anonymous July 3, 2021 / 9:48 pm

The cost of fuel is always going up despite the country. Looking at smoke can be cool and worring at the same time

5. Anonymous July 4, 2021 / 12:14 am

I hope that fire has been contained. They really scare me.Happy 4th Debby. Be safe.~Sheri

6. Anonymous July 6, 2021 / 1:24 am

Hope you are safe from the fires, getting some cooler weather and enjoying the holiday.xo, V

7. Anonymous July 6, 2021 / 7:56 pm

That smoke from a fire so far off does look as ominous as it must be. i was not familiar with the term swamp cooler, so of course I had to look it up and now I know. I agree with your assessment, Debby, that you friend should make a switch. Glad to read that the new car has reduced your gas expenses. What model did you get?

8. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 8:01 pm

I hate debt. We got in over our heads when we were first married and decided to live in our 34 foot motorhome in order to pay off debt. We had a blast.

9. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 8:02 pm

We are very pleased about the gas.

10. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 8:02 pm

Its impossible but then as I wrote that, it isn't for some hardy types.

11. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 8:03 pm

Oh yeah, some of the photography ocming out of these fires are beautiful in their own way.

12. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 8:03 pm

They scare me too, Sheri

13. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 8:03 pm

Thanks but cool weather doesn't really settle in here till mid September. We're in now, full swing.

14. Anonymous July 8, 2021 / 8:05 pm

We bought a KIA Niro – a plug in -hybrid. The first 27 miles are electric. Our driving habits are in town so we hardly use any gasoline and if we run out of the electric charge, the gas takes over.