Hot weather woes

We\’re actually in the midst of a cooling trend – today 102. Believe me, you can tell the difference between 102 and 113. We\’ll probably not get into the \’90s until Sept, so our North State weather is here to stay.

We replaced our HVAC back in 2012 and
Fall is a good time –

Navy, and his wife – they called Tuesday evening to let me know, that the 4th of July BBQ at their house is canceled. Their HVAC went out. They bought the house in January – an older home but everything had been renovated except the HVAC. They added a mortgage warranty so money is not an issue. They called the warranty company and the earliest they can get someone out there is July 16.  Then they will have to call an HVAC company to come out to get bids – then they\’ll have to wait to be scheduled. This is the busy season for HVAC technicians. At 8:30 at night, their inside tempt was 97.

I realize the home warranty is nice to have (we don\’t have one) but to have to wait for them to give the OKAY would be frustrating. I told him to go out and buy a cheap little window AC so they at least have one cool room they can take refuge in while they wait.

Like every summer, we\’re inundated with fires. Every evening, one or two new ones ger reported. Mind you, these are not lightning-induced fires. 100% human-caused. Then you break it down – intentional or accidental cause. We all know the only lightning-induced fire is the big one at the base of Mt Shasta. The rest have been either a cigarette thrown off the interstate, a campfire, a faulty catalytic converter, and last night a mobile home caught fire in a wooded area and caught cars and treetops on fire. Last I heard, they have that out and thankfully it only spread to a few acres. They caught some teenagers starting a fire and that fire was put down after an acre. As I have mentioned before, we do have arsonists that live among us. They are supposed to be registered so that law enforcement can find them but we know how that goes.

Once again, we\’re trapped. Not yet surrounded like past fires, we just do not feel comfortable going on our little adventures into the woods and then a fire breaks out – not to mention, we don\’t want to stray too far away from our home. Thankfully, because most of the fires are to the north of us, there is no smoke.

Our city every year (except last year) does huge fireworks over the Sacramento River.  They supposedly are safer – not to be a debbie-downer, I say if we\’re in a drought, why chance it? Counties to the south of us, sell fireworks to the public. That\’s just crazy. When I was a kid, I grew up on the coast and the 4th of July was usually socked in with fog. The neighborhoods would do their own fireworks out on their driveways and okay, I admit, it was fun. Then they outlawed them. My boys never knew the thrill of using sparklers – because the town over from us, had the big firework display and if we were not there watching them, we would sit on the front lawn and watch them from the comfort of our home.  They did see sparklers one time when they flew back to see my parents who were living in Eastern Tennessee at the time and a couple of times, up in Medford Oregon, visiting cousins. So they were not deprived.

The schools should indoctrinate educate the children on wildfires since it is a issue here. I mean, come on, they indoctrinate them on everything else. Just like the \”do not be a litterbug\” campaigns in the \’60s and \’70s. They need to start that up once again. So much litter on the roadways these days.

Uh oh…I\’m starting to feel a rant coming on. I\’ll say no more.

15 thoughts on “Hot weather woes

1. Anonymous July 1, 2021 / 9:03 pm

Though it has been a long time since we've lived in CA, my heart is still there.I'm glad you aren't getting smoke where you are; but it is coming to us!!Be safe ~

2. Anonymous July 1, 2021 / 10:55 pm

Yikes! I would not be able to handle that heat! And poor Navy – that is awful. Our daughter also has a home warranty which has worked well for them, but they've had to wait for a washer and a water heater. But waiting for AC in that weather is far worse.I agree on what they should be indocrinating the kids on!

3. Anonymous July 1, 2021 / 11:17 pm

I hate fireworks. The big displays can be pretty, but fireworks are dangerous and I really hate that they frighten Franklin and Penelope. I don't understand arsonists. They can cause such misery.Love,Janie

4. Anonymous July 2, 2021 / 1:11 am

Fireworks in a tinderbox? Insane. I'm not fond of fireworks in general, the professional shows are safe I guess but when one hand has an M80 and the other a Budweiser, what could go wrong. Sparklers and children are fun, but even those scare me…those things are damn hot if you are not careful.

5. Anonymous July 2, 2021 / 5:09 am

I hate to be a Debbie Downer too, I really do but I wish they would stop manufacturing fireworks. I am so over them. Maybe have one place in each city where they light them and you can see them from your car etc. But the smaller ones? Stop. Just stop. The adults are worse than the kids. I just do not see the fascination. Like I said I'm over them. They never really thrilled me to begin with, even when I was young. Okay, do not get me started on the trash all over the roadways. You wanna talk about a rant. Ugh!

6. Anonymous July 2, 2021 / 12:33 pm

Did you hear me say, \”Get a window unit!?\” *lol* We have one as back up too 'cause that happened to us one 4th of July. I keep that little jewel on the floor in the laundry room ready. We can install it in one of our windows as fast as a jack rabbit on a date. *giggle*We are kindred sprits when it comes to litterbugs! I don't know what's happened to our society, but it's terrible now. Our area used to be so pristine. Garbage was a rarity. Now … golly, I'm constantly picking up others garbage on our country dirt road. It's a filthy habit. There's a lot of alcoholism too, judging by the cans in the road by Monday morning. When I find it I pray for the perp that God will convict their hearts about being a better person. Once I found someone's name and address in a household bag(!!!) of garbage on the road and returned it to them. *wink* Yeah, they'll remember that. Haven't seen their piggy leavings in the road for awhile. I'm with you, community pride should be taught in our Schools again.Glad to hear there are no fires near y'all. We're having so much glorious rain this year that fires danger is super low. Thank you Lord. I pray the same for y'all. May you get rain soon.Blessings. xx

7. Anonymous July 2, 2021 / 6:40 pm

I spoke too soon – this morning we have smoke

8. Anonymous July 2, 2021 / 7:41 pm

Yeah I couldn't do it.

9. Anonymous July 2, 2021 / 7:43 pm

I detest what it does to the animals. My Laydee shakes like a leaf so when she went in for her spider bite I told the vet and she gave me some tranks for her. I shouldn't have to drug my poor dog.

10. Anonymous July 2, 2021 / 7:44 pm

I know, right? The city says they are safe and that it keeps others from buying their own illegal ones and burning the place down but the big booms and all, I don't enjoy. Upsets my dog. The cat doesn't seem to mind.

11. Anonymous July 2, 2021 / 7:45 pm

I think he is out now trying to find one – they are hard to find due to a supply shortage.

12. Anonymous July 2, 2021 / 10:35 pm

Your weather conditions do not sound good

13. Anonymous July 3, 2021 / 5:01 am

I know! One big fireworks display in town that starts and ends at specified times should be it and not all these people tossing firecrackers and crap all over the place.