We did it

Saturday we went out and bought a 2020 plug-in hybrid – a Kia Niro. I am disappointed that our \”cash\” didn\’t stretch so we could buy it outright but we used it for a hefty down and financed $9640.00.  A large portion of that was all the fees.  $200 for Cal Vehicle License, $207 for Registration, Sales Tax, Document Processing Fee, an electric vehicle registration fee, smog abatement fee, and a rubber tire fee. Blah Blah Blah…

The payment is low. I haven\’t paid that low of a car payment since 1984 when I bought my Chevrolet Celebrity Station Wagon! We hope to be able to pay it off after the federal tax credit when we file in 2022. That is $4543. We will get a $1000 credit from our local electric company. Right now, the California rebate has no money and there is a waiting list. As soon as it is funded, that is worth a couple of thousand. There are some other rebates available as well.

I am most impressed with the gas mileage. They filled it up with gas for us and so far, I\’ve only been driving around using the electric.  It has a 26-27-mile range which is perfect for us around town which is 90% of all our driving. The husband used a little gas when he gunned it, to get on the I-5. Every time you break or idle, it charges.

There are still some unknowns – I don\’t know how much my electricity will increase. I could call and find out just haven\’t yet. It doesn\’t matter really – you have to pay someone to make your vehicle go. It is what it is – Saturday\’s gas was at $4.01 a gallon for regular unleaded. We filled up the van on Friday. Ouch.

I added it to the auto insurance and I haven\’t heard what the additional amount will cost – but once again that is with any new vehicle. It always goes UP.

Everything else on it is fine. We didn\’t get the one with leather seats. Why? So our dog can tear it up? Plus we don\’t need it. No moonroof either. After driving the van –  since 2015 exclusively we realize what is necessary and what is not. For us, it was 100% economy. It\’s quiet and clean.

I like it.

10 thoughts on “We did it

1. Anonymous June 8, 2021 / 1:01 am

Yay! Glad you finally got that out of the way and that you are happy with it. The gas mileage is awesome!

2. Anonymous June 8, 2021 / 2:55 am

Enjoy. That mileage is great! Moonroof smoonroof; only good to help cool off the insides before air kicks in. I use mine about four times a year total of maybe 8 minutes.

3. Anonymous June 8, 2021 / 12:09 pm

Wow, 105 mpg?! That's better than my Honda motorcycle which gets about 72 mpg and that's when I shower down on the throttle. I probably could get more if I kept it under 65. *wink* Kia's are nice vehicles. I hope it gives y'all years of faithful service. And you're right, a moon roof is so unnecessary and they are a security issue. It's so easy to break into a car with one of those. I think it's smart to forgo that. Very happy for y'all.Blessings. xx

4. Anonymous June 8, 2021 / 8:37 pm

Yay, Debby. Congratulations! Good for you! My SIL has that same car- a year older and absolutely loves it. She is mostly around town with it, too. I am snot sure what happened with their electric bill but it must not have been horrible because she has never mentioned it. xo Diana

5. Anonymous June 8, 2021 / 9:17 pm

I am excited about the economy

6. Anonymous June 8, 2021 / 9:18 pm

Yeah, we thought that as well. WE also didn't get heated seats or heated wheel – we don't need it here. It's just more things that can break.

7. Anonymous June 8, 2021 / 9:18 pm

Thank you. We are pleased. I never thought about the security issue. Duh! It makes sense.

8. Anonymous June 8, 2021 / 9:21 pm

My husband says it is a trickle charge and we do it at night when rates are lowest so it shouldn't be that bad. Glad to hear your SIL loves her car.

9. Anonymous June 8, 2021 / 10:43 pm

Feels good when we can say it is done

10. Anonymous June 9, 2021 / 10:21 pm

Yes it does. Car buying is a major purchase these days and not fun at all.