It really bothers me that the cash we have saved up – can only buy us a smaller electric vehicle – whereas, if we purchased gasoline we could get a very nice vehicle.
The husband wants an electric vehicle more than I do. We are researching and we\’re in no hurry – probably by the end of the year.
1. The obvious – zero emissions – no exhaust system.
2. Electricity is cheaper than gasoline. \”They,\” say that Americans pay on average of.15 a mile – In the West and especially California, we pay close to .30 a mile. EV\’s cost 1/3 of what gasoline vehicles cost to run.
3. If you have solar (which we don\’t) you can not only solar your home but your EV, as well.
4. Maintainance is cheaper and less often (So THEY say.) They don\’t run on oil so no oil changes – or any other part that a combustion engine uses. Supposedly, you do not wear out your brakes as a conventional combustion vehicle does. Frankly, I don\’t see how that is, but that is what I have read.
5. They are Quiet
6. You get tax credits – Only if you are the original owner or finance.
7. Shorten your commute time. If you live in an urban/metro area, you get to use the special lanes.
Tomorrow the Cons – drawbacks