Celebrity family members

I\’m not at all close to any of my cousins – so I don\’t know them at all. I did not grow up around them and I grew up in California so when I would go back, they naturally would all clique around each other – and it was just my sister and myself hanging out, or I would sit with the adults and listen to the family gossip and old stories.

I didn\’t know until about 6 years ago at a cousin meet-up here in California that one of my cousins, is an Award-winning Music Supervisor for many movies and TV shows. How would I have known? I haven\’t followed anything \”Hollywood\” in decades. Just not interested.  But when there is an awards show, I always think of her.  I won\’t give her name, but \”her diverse work spans multiple genres, from popular television dramas like “Brothers and Sisters” and “Army Wives,” to comedy feature films like “Santa Claus 2” and “Tooth Fairy,” to indie box office hits like “Magic Mike.

\”She is currently supervising Aaron Sorkin’s hit television series “The Newsroom” as well as the inspired country music drama “Nashville”. Along with her television expertise, she has extensive film credits, serving as music consultant on such successful films as Steven Soderbergh’s “Ocean’s 11, 12 and 13,” and on the soundtrack for the Academy Award-winning movie “Traffic” for which she received a Grammy nomination.

In addition to her work as a music supervisor, she also serves as a Music Consultant for ABC Television and has served as Interim Music Executive at New Line Cinema as well as Music Executive at PolyGram Filmed Entertainment, which included overseeing music for such outstanding films as Dead Man Walking, Notting Hill, and The Big Lebowski. She works under her banner of Whirly Girl Music. Additional accolades include a 2012 Guild of Music Supervisors Award for Best Music Supervisor for the indie film “Magic Mike” and an RIAA Certified Gold Record for “How to Be a Player.”

Good for her! I know Grandma probably wouldn\’t understand exactly what she does – but she would be mighty proud. My son mentioned recently he watched one of her movies and of course, he didn\’t know the relationship. I told him, \”she\’s my cousin\” and he didn\’t believe me at first. Our family was just too big and everyone moved away – and many came to California. She was brought up in Tennessee/Ohio and attended school in Florida. I have no idea how she got into this business. She\’s not an attention whore, like many celebrities. The last time I met up with her, she was like a regular person – of course, I didn\’t really know the scope of her achievements at that time.

May you have good success in 2021, Cuz. I\’ll be rooting for you!

I also have a sports celebrity in my family (by marriage) Another cousin married Nelson Emerson – a Hockey player from Canada that I had never heard of but my sons knew who he was. Never met him – he and my cousin now live down in Laguna Beach.

You never know who may have celebrities in their family. What about you? Do you have any celebrities in your family?

12 thoughts on “Celebrity family members

1. Anonymous April 30, 2021 / 1:39 pm

Your cousin has become very successful. I am proud of her too. It is a thing of beauty when someone has talent and they use it well.

2. Anonymous April 30, 2021 / 1:57 pm

I have one cousin who is a best selling author of many books, mostly historical books on the sexual proclivities of past Presidents and Kings and Queens. I've tried to read a few but as good as they are, my attention span deficiency does not pare well with her style and subject. She did co-write (WRITE) \”King Peggy\” a different style best seller which I enjoyed greatly.I have a few other cousins who I also barely know but have found on Facebook. I \”unfollowed\” a few who I deemed to be ass-hats.

3. Anonymous April 30, 2021 / 4:52 pm

Pretty cool, that. While researching my family history, I learned that I (and thousands of others) are related to Pernell Roberts from Waycross, Georgia. Yeah, I said \”Who's that?\” too. I'm old but didn't grow up watching Gunsmoke. My genre of choice was Sci-Fi and murder mysteries. Anyway, he's pretty closely related as he's on my \”Mama's Baby\” side, not the \”Daddy's … maybe\”. *lol* (There's still some question there.) I didn't meet him but he asked one of his handlers to contact me before he passed and to send him a copy of my ROBERTS family history. Never did get a thank you. I don't think we would have ever been friends or friendly, since we have very different beliefs. Just interesting.One of the many things that are fun about genealogy is one just never knows where this information will lead us. I always figured I'm related to horse thieves and other scallywags. So, I wasn't too far off the mark …About Pernell Roberts:https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/47127568/pernell-robertsBlessings. xx

4. Anonymous April 30, 2021 / 6:24 pm

Oh wow, I know him. I enjoy westerns and he played Adam Cartwright. Thanks for sharing.

5. Anonymous April 30, 2021 / 6:27 pm

That's cool – and a best selling writer! I finally said adieu to all my cousins on Facebook. It was very apparent, they had no interest in getting to know me so why bother? All our folks are now dead.

6. Anonymous April 30, 2021 / 6:28 pm

Yes it is – I'm still wondering what and where are my talents…lol

7. Anonymous May 1, 2021 / 12:15 am

That is really cool! I have a big family – 11 kids on my dad's side, 10 on my moms so lots of cousins. However, we have no celebrities in whole bunch!

8. Anonymous May 1, 2021 / 3:38 pm

I have no famous relatives that I know of for sure but my paternal grandmother's maiden name was Gambino so maybe I'm related to some mobsters! Not anything to brag about anyway!

9. Anonymous May 1, 2021 / 10:58 pm

How bloody cool, no one famous in my family

10. Anonymous May 3, 2021 / 3:04 pm

My family was small, just 4 of us and I am the only one left. My mother did not play well with others, so we were pretty isolated as far as extended family goes. If there are celebrities, I know nothing of them.

11. Anonymous May 7, 2021 / 1:39 pm

While researching my family I found a cousin who is a sports annoncer for one of the major tv networks – I forget which one and I no longer follow sports. BTW, I remember a blog post you did about info changing on your family tree online. In the past month I have found three glitches on my Ancestry tree. Parents and offspring just disappeared. I think it must be a problem in their systems.

12. Anonymous May 7, 2021 / 11:05 pm

You have to be on top of it and catch those errors before it spins out of control and completely corrupts your family tree.