There is life after Facebook

I haven\’t been on Facebook since Jan. I admit that the first 2 weeks were hard. But I\’ve filled my day with other things to do and I don\’t miss it one bit. Getting off coffee and eliminating Facebook has done wonders for my health. I sleep much better at night.
I don\’t go in for the mentality of \”group think\” that Facebook seems to promote. It started out subtle, and then before you knew it, you were being brainwashed into all kinds of fake news, commentary, and public opinion. When did we become a society that has to be told what to think? We need professional pundits to tell us how to vote, what to think, what to wear, what we can read, and what we watch on TV. They tell us what brands we should use, what brands we shouldn\’t use…
No thank you. I m perfectly able to think for myself. I can read. I can even decipher bullshit when I hear it or read it. I don\’t need anyone \”coaching\” me. Yeah and sometimes I might not understand but let me figure it out myself.
I\’ve turned off the news. I no longer watch it or have it on. I listen to music or listen to books on Audible.  So much better for my soul. No, I don\’t live in a cave – I see the news notifications pop up on my phone and that is all I care to know. If I choose to know more, I will read it. I am no longer a news junkie.
Not to get all preachy – (and it\’s not even a Sunday) bottom line – people are not happy. It\’s sad really. They hate. They argue. They make fun of others. Regretfully,  I\’ve done it myself and it\’s not who I am. I\’ve allowed the present-day culture to turn me into someone I don\’t even recognize. (Read 1 John)
For everything in the world-the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.

I just want to be a better me and getting off Facebook was a step in the right direction.

From My House – For the homemaking side of me

12 thoughts on “There is life after Facebook

1. Anonymous March 16, 2021 / 7:13 pm

I'm so glad you're happy with your choice. I continue to think about leaving Facebook but remain reluctant to give up family photos. Relatives no longer mail photos, which disappoints me. They also don't send birth announcements, so additions to the family surprise me.Love,Janie

2. Anonymous March 16, 2021 / 8:25 pm

I hear you – Social media has taken over our lives. I know I am missing out – but so are they. 🙂

3. Anonymous March 16, 2021 / 11:58 pm

I'm with Janie above, I have learned that it is OK to simply \”unfollow\” friends that need to post opinions, not \”unfriend\”. Facebook is great for somethings. I also follow the news way less than in years past. If you want to get really depressed, just tune in to some of the cable news shows, they will quickly let you know why we are all doomed.

4. Anonymous March 17, 2021 / 12:53 am

Good for you! I'm still on FB but not nearly as much and it's a good thing. I also avoid mainstream news. I can't trust a thing they say anyway!

5. Anonymous March 17, 2021 / 4:39 am

You couldn't pay me to be on Facebook. I sure don't need everyone's drama invading my space. Life is too short for that. Good for you, first coffee, now Facebook. Loved that bed you gave to your daughter-in-law.

6. Anonymous March 17, 2021 / 9:46 am

Facebook is a bore for the most part. I unfollowed most who posted politics whether I agree with them or not. I do enjoy a few genealogy groups, animal and pet videos and the occasional news story. I feel the same about twitter. Twitter made sense for the first time when there was the insurrection. You still come across tidbits of news before it hits the media but not enough to make it worthwhile.We are news junkies at our house. I visit my mom in her room. She always announces the news comes on in X amount of minutes so I will come back. lol However, it is the old movies I enjoy the most.Avoiding the news does let you have a fuller life.

7. Anonymous March 17, 2021 / 5:55 pm

Yeah unfriending them is a good option.

8. Anonymous March 17, 2021 / 5:56 pm

Isn't that sad? I don't trust the media anymore either. They don't report news anymore. It's all commentary and I don't need that.

9. Anonymous March 17, 2021 / 5:57 pm

You nailed it – everyone's drama invading my space was exactly what bothered me. I just couldn't take it anymore. Yeah the bed was nice – but I had no need for it.

10. Anonymous March 17, 2021 / 6:00 pm

MY parents were news junkies – then I became one and my sons as well. I guess it runs in the family. I've decided I need to cut back because I physically don't handle it well. I start to worry and obsess. I do miss the genealogy groups.

11. Anonymous March 17, 2021 / 8:24 pm

I spend around 5-10 minutes a day on Facebook, so not much but plenty for me

12. Anonymous March 18, 2021 / 4:35 pm

Good for you! I need to do the same although I have unfollowed so many friends and pages on Facebook that I hardly see anything anymore! I pretty much stopped watching the MSM though! I don't trust anything they report to be accurate anymore!