Negative pressure rooms and whole-house hvac purifiers

We talked with Pops via video chat, yesterday. He was in his room. They are trying to keep them all in their rooms but legally cannot force them to. Each room is a negative-pressure room like they have in ICU and some hospital rooms for infectious diseases. You have to \”gown up\”  before entering. As we were on the chat, we saw one of the food staff, come in – NOT wearing a suit. Then she realized, she was on video chat, backed up, and then put on her gown. We know, she\’s a good person – but mishaps happen. It wouldn\’t have affected my FIL but if had it that\’s how it would spread throughout the facility. Fortunately, he doesn\’t have it.
My brother has Covid19 but so far, after more than a week, my sister-in-law does not. She has a lot of health concerns as well so I hope she stays healthy. When I was a kid, my whole family came down with the mumps. I was 10 years old. I had to take care of my family – cooking and cleaning and I never got it. To this day, I\’ve never had the mumps.
2012 HVAC Install
Thursday the HVAC guy came to do our semi-annual checkup and I asked him about whole-house purifiers, they mount on the HVAC system. We hope to be able to purchase one in the spring. It would be worth it as we get older and with all the fires. There is a waiting list but we try and pay everything in cash – so we have to wait till we know we can pay for it and not go into debt. I was surprised it is NOT as expensive as I thought. It\’s not going to keep us from viruses but from smoke, mold, mildew, pet dander, and skanky smells. I have a really good nose – too good. I smell smells that others can\’t. Literally, it would be a breath of fresh air, to have my home smelling fresh. Not that it stinks – but I smell things like dust and dirt while others can\’t. Drives me nuts!

From My House – For the homemaking side of me

13 thoughts on “Negative pressure rooms and whole-house hvac purifiers

1. Anonymous November 14, 2020 / 9:01 pm

Just our luck to have a great sense of smell. NOT! My son had a strange smell in his house and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I went over there and 'smelled' around and figured out it was coming from his radon detector. Turns out a squirrel got into the exhaust pipe on tbe roof, fell down the pipe and died on the motor. Ewww!

2. Anonymous November 14, 2020 / 10:06 pm

Oh, I'm sorry your family has that dreaded virus. I'll keep y'all in my prayers!Yes, Florida a longgggggggggggggg way from you. We lived (when my dad wasthe Navy and we were kids) in San Diego. Then as an adult the company Iworked for sent to L.A. (actually Brea). I was fascinated watching people walking around with the big pierced (hole in the ears) and that was back inthe sixties. LOL Stay safe!

3. Anonymous November 15, 2020 / 12:01 am

So sorry that your brother has Covid. This virus is very sneaky, so I hope your sister in law stays healthy.God bless.

4. Anonymous November 15, 2020 / 1:09 am

When I taught school, fellow teachers would complain about how the kids could smell. For the most part, my smeller did not work well. But every once in awhile, I smelt everything. That is when I felt fortunate I did not smell that well most days. A whole house air purifier sounds like a good thing. I may look into one for my house as well.

5. Anonymous November 15, 2020 / 2:25 pm

Wow, that unit is impressive! It does sound like a welcome addition to your life. I would hate having to smell smoke for any length of time. I hope you are not too far down the list. πŸ’–

6. Anonymous November 15, 2020 / 2:25 pm

oh wow on the purifiers…never knew that existed. Then again, central ac units are expensive here and majority of folks only have window ac's. Yep, even in modern times. Hmm…on the none gown / suited up person. Drives me nuts to hear about things like that; almost like do as I say thing…

7. Anonymous November 15, 2020 / 8:46 pm

Once this virus is over, I'd like to go to Florida. I have a cousin who lives there.

8. Anonymous November 15, 2020 / 8:49 pm

Yeah school age kids go through a stage (especially boys) where they don't shower as they should. Plus there is a smell in the schools, that the kids would bring home as well. It would be on their jackets.

9. Anonymous November 15, 2020 / 8:50 pm

Oh we're going to get it – we just have to wait till the Spring.

10. Anonymous November 15, 2020 / 8:51 pm

All the houses here have the HVACs either on the roof or to the side of their homes. My house was built in the early 90's.

11. Anonymous November 16, 2020 / 4:21 am

Never had a purifer although when she was a child by my parents had a humidifier for my sister who is asthmatic