Can we talk?

I\’m going, to be honest – it sucks getting older. I am losing my figure, my looks, muscle tone, smooth skin, my eyesight – I\’m 66 years old. It\’s harder to look good anymore. I do the same things I used to, and I still look old. For the most part, it doesn\’t bother me unless I am trying to look good when we go out.  I\’m almost to the point, why bother anymore? Like adolescents, go through an \”ugly stage.\” Is this just a bad stage I am going through and once I hit 70 or so, I\’ll look like a sweet, cute, cuddly old lady? I\’m okay with that – I\’m just in a transitional stage I guess; both physically and emotionally.

Daily, I try to look nice. I wear earrings every day. Especially now that my hair is short – you can actually see them. I prefer post earrings. I don\’t wear necklaces – usually too hot and they make me sweat. I don\’t wear rings that much anymore unless I am going out to a fancy function and my nails are manicured. I used to love wearing pretty watches. I don\’t anymore.

I have a thing about always having my toenails painted. I get all of this because of my Mom. She was a \”girly-girly\” type Mom. She was 5\’2 100 lbs – very petite. She looked great in anything she put on and she had really pretty legs. My sister was a girly-girl. The cheerleader, the Prom queen, etc. I was a daddy\’s girl. I loved wearing jeans and camo and fishing vests. I enjoy wearing boots. High boots, combat-type boots, hiking boots, and I am looking for some cowboy boots. I do wear some lite makeup.  I like the funkier type of shoe. And No Stilettos for me. I wore high heels back in the day when I worked in San Francisco in the 1970s. I was young then, and they never bothered me. I could dance in them; I could even run in them. Those days were over when I started having babies. It\’s like my feet got wider and stayed that way.

I like to slap her pretty face!

Did you know that Christy Brinkly is the same age as me? We\’re both 66 years old. She does a great disservice to older women. It is pretty doggone impossible for me to naturally look like her NOW.  If I had her money, I\’d still be me but perhaps I would get a tummy tuck, liposuction, and breast reduction surgery. My Swedish friend who I used to nanny her kids, she is 51 and told me the other day, she got a tummy tuck and liposuction. I was kinda jealous, which I was shocked at myself. They are very wealthy. So she tells me,

\”you should do it, too.\”

LIKE, I can\’t afford that – It\’s hopeless.

So I do get bummed, that there really is nothing I can affordably do, to keep from looking so old and drab. It\’s just something I have to go through. All I can do is keep myself healthy and I am clean!

Good article about how society doesn\’t allow women to age gracefully – they want us all to look like we\’re in our 20\’s and 30\’s.

12 thoughts on “Can we talk?

1. Anonymous October 3, 2020 / 11:34 pm

As I get older, younger women do not do it, mature women that still carry themselves with a sexy confidence…Ooo La La!

2. Anonymous October 3, 2020 / 11:38 pm

I figure it is a stage I am going through and leave it at that. God bless.

3. Anonymous October 4, 2020 / 12:27 am

I have a feeling Christie Brinkley doesn't look that good in person. I have a friend who takes beautiful photos. In person, she is not as comely. But I know what you mean about getting older. My big problem with getting older is not losing my looks, it is ageism. I don't like being considered old and in the back of their minds, useless.

4. Anonymous October 4, 2020 / 12:41 am

I would always joke with hubby if he passed before me I was using some of the insurance money and having some cosmetic surgery done but I probably won't these days. Like I mentioned before I haven't worn makeup in years, keep my hair a simple cut, and I don't wear any jewelry, not even a wedding ring. In my younger days I dressed up and wore makeup, jewelry and the like but really I just don't care these days. I look presentable when going out and that's good enough for me 🙂 And you are right, society doesn't allow women to age gracefully and it doesn't help when you have Christie Brinkley and the like flaunting their aging bodies because they have the money to have cosmetic work done, etc. betty

5. Anonymous October 4, 2020 / 4:38 pm

That's nice to hear!

6. Anonymous October 4, 2020 / 4:38 pm

Yep, that's all we can do

7. Anonymous October 4, 2020 / 4:41 pm

I've said the same thing but I really wouldn't. I'd have to win the lottery. Yeah Christy Brinkley bugs me.

8. Anonymous October 4, 2020 / 9:07 pm

It is just something you are going through and should pass , getting older does suck but so does being 57 and havinga body that is falling apart. Just take each day as it happens

9. Anonymous October 6, 2020 / 12:45 pm

I try to look as nice as I can every day. I always wear earrings and will put make up on every day. Even if I'm not leaving the house it makes me feel a little better when I look in a mirror, I also color the gray out of my hair because nothing makes you look older than gray hair!

10. Anonymous October 6, 2020 / 11:02 pm

That's all we can do.

11. Anonymous October 6, 2020 / 11:04 pm

And I am sure you are beautiful! It is whatever makes you happy.