Summer wildfires – so what else is new?

Platina Fire
Surrounded by fires, once again. Fortunately they are not even close to threatening us. We do hear the Cal Fire planes and helicopters going back and forth with water and retardant all day and to about 8pm in the evening.
The Platina Fire – in Shasta County is at 65% contained. 29.3 miles.
The 9,420-acre Hog Fire in southern Lassen County is burning about five miles west of Susanville.  131 miles from us. 9% containment.
The Gold Fire in northern Lassen County grew to 14,000 acres on Wednesday from Tuesday\’s 8,500 acres south of the tiny Modoc County community of Adin and it was only 5% contained.
The 557-acre Badger Fire in Siskiyou County is burning about five miles northwest of Yreka.
Still not like it has been the last couple of years – at least not yet.
Whiskeytown Lake
Tomorrow is the anniversary of  The Carr Fire.
It was was reported on the afternoon of July 23, 2018.
The Carr Fire started at an intersection of Highway 299 and Carr Powerhouse Road, in the Whiskeytown district of the Whiskeytown–Shasta–Trinity National Recreation Area. Coincidental to the name of the incident, the fire was started when a flat tire on a vehicle caused the wheel\’s rim to scrape against the asphalt, creating sparks that set off the fire. When all was said and done, the fire burned 229,651 acres (92,936 – 359 sq mi), before it was 100% contained late on August 30, 2018.
The Carr Fire destroyed at least 1,604 structures (at least 1,077 were homes) while damaging 277 others, becoming the seventh-most destructive fire in California history. As well as the seventh-largest wildfire recorded in modern California history.
Looking West – Sacramento River and Sundial Bridge in the background.
On July 26, the fire jumped the Sacramento River, making its way into the city of Redding, causing the evacuation of 38,000 people.  I was never so scared in my life – we were fortunate, that we did not have to evacuate, but Char did and my husband went to get her and flames were seen several blocks from her apartment. Bumper to bumper traffic getting out. Wind caused the fire to spread quickly. Hot conditions and steep, inaccessible terrain presented challenges for fire crews.
I haven\’t been the same since. We were safe in our subdivision which is on the eastern edge of town – after which a mile or so away is thick with trees and shrubs. There hasn\’t been a fire in my area for 25-30 years. We\’re overdue.  We usually keep a survival pack, but admittedly, I haven\’t gotten one ready this year due to being sidetracked with everything else going on. Tomorrow\’s anniversary would be a good opportunity to start getting our pack ready just in case.
Our homeowners insurance was cancelled – as were many others. Guilt by association. Just because we are in a fire-prone area. We did obtain homeowners through USAA.
We contemplated moving – but love the area. We just have to be ready when it does happen and hope for the best.

17 thoughts on “Summer wildfires – so what else is new?

1. Anonymous July 23, 2020 / 1:10 am

We had a lot of fires around here but I don't hear about them too much any more so I guess their either contained or out. Hope it won't be a long dry season for you all!! My brother in law's and sister in law's home insurance was cancelled since they have a home up in the mountains around Idylwild. They still can't get it insured. Stay safe!betty

2. Anonymous July 23, 2020 / 2:32 am

2020! Worst year ever and keeps getting scarier. Stay safe.

3. Anonymous July 23, 2020 / 10:20 am

Hope you stay safe this year. Someone set our boat on fire – which was parked next to the house – one year. Kids with flare guns thinking they were funny. Right. More idiots in this world than I can count.

4. Anonymous July 23, 2020 / 5:09 pm

Yeah you have that big fire near Tucson. I have a cousin in Marana.

5. Anonymous July 23, 2020 / 5:10 pm

Oh I know. 2020 sucks

6. Anonymous July 23, 2020 / 5:11 pm

Wow, I would have had their butts. I hope their parents didn't coddle them and made them pay.

7. Anonymous July 23, 2020 / 8:58 pm

Oh no, fires again. The one in Redding is close to where my cousin lives. I can't believe one is so close to the Sacramento River. Be careful, Debbie, and take care. I really like your new blog design.Yea, sometimes we have to update our Headers. Ours is long overdue. : )~Sheri

8. Anonymous July 23, 2020 / 9:32 pm

Summer and fires go hand in hand

9. Anonymous July 23, 2020 / 9:41 pm

Fires are so awful-scary and unpredictable. I hate to hear there are fires anywhere and CA sure has its share of them, too!I like the looks of your new blog. It is clean and fresh looking.Stay safe- xo Diana

10. Anonymous July 23, 2020 / 9:49 pm

Sheri, we're fine. The one closest is almost out. The one close to Sacramento was the big one we had in 2018. We're good. I like it the new \”look\” as well. Thanks.

11. Anonymous July 23, 2020 / 9:50 pm

Unfortunately, that is true for certain areas.

12. Anonymous July 23, 2020 / 9:50 pm

Thank you. I like clean and fresh.

13. Anonymous July 23, 2020 / 10:08 pm

Thank you for visiting my blog! I can't imagine being in the fire zone, such a pretty place to live and I don't blame you for staying. So thankful you didn't have damage or injury from the fires. We also have USAA insurance. They are great! Have a blessed evening, HUGS!

14. Anonymous July 24, 2020 / 3:33 am

How awful! Just reading about it all have me a sick feeling in my stomach and heart. All the loss and heartbreak. I pray you will remain safe where you live.💖

15. Anonymous July 24, 2020 / 7:46 pm

Thank you. I do, too

16. Anonymous July 25, 2020 / 12:38 pm

Police could never prove who did it and it wasn't until 20 years later that one of the perpetrators told my son he was part of the group that started the fire. Too late to do anything at that point.