It’s Summer and it’s Monday!

Gum boat Lake

Tomorrow my son Foodie and my husband are going backpacking in the Shasta-Trinity Divide. The high country with alpine lakes that were frozen just a month ago. MY husband will go for overnight – while Foodie will take the real strenuous climbs and hikes. The area my husband hiked in last week has closed down parts of the county – No not for COVID 19 but unusual bear activity. They are hungry and grouchy. It\’s funny because he told me he came to 100 yards of a black bear, face to face. They stood and looked at each other and my husband calmly told Mr. Bear, that he was no threat and Mr. Bear moved on. I haven\’t been up that way since 2018 just a week or so before our terrible fires.

Yeah, we\’ve been HOT. 110, 117 – pretty typical – I don\’t follow it anymore. I just know its HOT. I get outside and start working in my garden by 7am on those days. I can get a good 3-4 hours of outside work before it hits 100. That\’s my cut off – 95-100. I won\’t go back out again, until early evening when the shade is out – still HOT but doesn\’t feel as oppressive.  My garden does much better in the Spring and early summer. Right now the heat is hard on them and the grasses on my hill are yellow and dried out. That\’s summer!

USS Bonhomme Richard

We\’re a Navy Family. My husband is a retired chief Petty officer so when we heard about the USS Bonhomme Richard fire in San Diego, we were just sick. I\’ve been on that ship before when it was docked in San Francisco and we took a tour. Not as big as an aircraft carrier it is still quite large. I feel for all the sailors who make that ship their home. I know, how much sailors LOVE their ships and to watch it burn like that is heartbreaking. Thank God no one was hurt; just some smoke inhalation and heat exhaustion. They know how to fight fires. That is like the first thing they learn in Bootcamp. So many former sailors go on to fire fighting careers.

10 thoughts on “It’s Summer and it’s Monday!

1. Anonymous July 13, 2020 / 11:16 pm

That is a funny story about your husband and the bear. I can't believe he was only 100 yards from a black bear, Yikes! It's been hot here lately too. Just staying inside to keep cool. Backpacking sounds like fun. I hope your husband and son have a great time. Sounds just like something I need right now. Yes, I'm staying away from the neighbor, and I hope things get better. Thank you for your prayer, Debby. I appreciate that so much.~Sheri

2. Anonymous July 14, 2020 / 12:18 am

What beautiful country! That's a bit scary about the bears. We have plenty of bears in this part of the country, but they aren't usually a danger…more of a nuisance getting into things in search of food. I can't think of ever hearing them hurting anyone. It is a shame about the ship, but now I've learned something. I had no idea about sailors fighting fires and going on to careers in the field.

3. Anonymous July 14, 2020 / 1:09 am

Hubby's dad talked often of the Bonhomme Richard that was the aircraft carrier as he was in the Navy for 24 years. He would have been devastated to hear of the fire of this one. I heard the smell was awful and carried for miles; like 50 miles or more. Hubby's brother lives in Chula Vista and smelled it and I heard reports as far up as Vista and as far east as Alpine. Sad.116 degrees yesterday; I think 118 on Saturday. You are right though once the sun goes down even though it is still hot it doesn't feel as oppressive.Wow with your husband and the bear!betty

4. Anonymous July 14, 2020 / 12:39 pm

That's a beautiful part of the country to hike! I hope they have a safe trip and I'm sure it will be nicer weather up there. That is very sad about the ship that burned. There's been so much bad news this year. Take care!

5. Anonymous July 14, 2020 / 5:18 pm

You are welcome! ❀

6. Anonymous July 14, 2020 / 5:19 pm

Oh yes, fires on ships when they are underway is fairly common. They have to learn how to fight them because when they are out in the middle of the ocean, who can they call?

7. Anonymous July 14, 2020 / 5:24 pm

The Bonhomme Richard has a long history. The current one was commission in 1998. The one your FIL was on, was an Essex-class aircraft carriers per my Navy husband.

8. Anonymous July 14, 2020 / 5:24 pm

Yes, this is the year I wish I could have slept through.

9. Anonymous July 14, 2020 / 10:05 pm

I do not know how I would be calm if I came anywherenear a black bear and being in Australia not likely to happen

10. Anonymous July 14, 2020 / 11:55 pm

Don't know how you garden at all, with those temps.πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ