I won’t be silenced

Army officer Braxton Bragg

I chatted with my friend this afternoon. She is all for tearing down the statues. That kind of hurt my heart.  To begin with, the Confederate ones should have never been put up in the first place. That was just DUMB. The confederacy lost – the Union WON – the South needs to get over it. Place the confederate ones in a museum and share the whole history of that person. The rest of the monuments and statues is getting just ridiculous. It\’s being done out of hatred and spite. Like the Theodore Roosevelt statue.  I wonder will the Navy consider changing the aircraft carrier my son was on?  (USS Theodore Roosevelt)   When will it stop?

She stated she thought that the Washington Monument must come down eventually because \”George was a racist.\”  Honestly, by today\’s standards, yes he was. No one owns slaves these days. It would be criminal. But by the standards of that time, he was a slave-owner.  I don\’t like that part of history either. It was the way it was back then. We cannot judge the spirit and soul of a person who lived that long ago. That deed belongs to God. She did admit, that she would hate to see Mt Rushmore vandalized, \”even though they were all racist.\” Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Fort Bragg, Ca was founded in 1857 before the U.S. Civil War by Lt. Horatio G. Gibson, who established a military post to keep control of the Mendocino Indian Reservation. He named it for Bragg, who was his former commanding officer. This was well before the Civil War. Army officer Braxton Bragg, who at the time had served the U.S. in the Mexican–American War (he would later serve in the Confederate Army during the Civil War). He also was a slave-owner. The city was later incorporated in 1889. As the story goes, Bragg never set foot in the town.  But the wimpy city council wants a name change. To what? It\’s a tourist town – affluent. Will the new name satisfy everyone in town? Will the new name represent good values and whose values? What should be the guidepost for that new name? They better do their fact-checking because 100-200 years from now, they may have to change the name again.

KKK Exalted Cyclops and US Senator, Robert Bryd.

There are a bunch of double standards and the Group-think Crowd just glosses over those – as if they didn\’t happen. Like why aren\’t they tearing down KKK Senator Robert Bryd? Every time I hear that statue is still up, it infuriates me.

Who Are America\’s Racial Equality Protestors?

All of this upsets me – the turmoil, the violence, the hypocrisy!  – It bothers me to see American cities being torn apart and dismantled because of the past. This has nothing to do with George Floyd. These are angry, young, mostly white people – stirring the shit pot like they always have done.

These are my thoughts and opinions and I am allowed to have them. If you do not like them, TOUGH!  I won\’t be silenced.

11 thoughts on “I won’t be silenced

1. Anonymous June 29, 2020 / 1:09 am

You need to learn proper thinking.

2. Anonymous June 29, 2020 / 1:25 am

Nor should you be… we are ALL entitled to our own thoughts and feelings.

3. Anonymous June 29, 2020 / 4:43 am

Interesting statistics. And the ones with the virus here are in the 20 to 39 year old groups. Yet no one is saying it is protest related (19 days here of protests with masks not encouraged or suggested).We can learn from statues. They don't need to be torn down and destroyed. They need to be preserved as part of our heritage and history. We can tell kids the stories behind the people that are on the statues. Its ridiculous for them to be done away with or names to be changed or flags changed like I heard Mississippi is changing its state flag. I don't like the Cancel Culture agenda these days. We visited Gettysburg 2 years ago. There are tons of statues and monuments there honoring each infantry battalion that fought there. Both Confederate and from the North. I shudder to think they could be destroyed. We can't erase that time but we can learn from it. Good you won't be silenced. We shouldn't be!betty

4. Anonymous June 29, 2020 / 10:52 am

And then they can burn down Mt. Vernon and Monticello. People are just crazy. I am glad I am old so I won't have to deal with this much longer, but I fear for my descendants.

5. Anonymous June 29, 2020 / 9:07 pm

I'm glad, too. It's crazy out there and doesn't look too promising.

6. Anonymous June 29, 2020 / 11:52 pm

I don't like destruction period. One thing that people don't consider is we all have feet of clay. If we had lived in that time period, we would have had those standards too. Hindsight is 20-20. I support BLM. The movement is long overdue.Confederate statues and flags give me pause in being a Southerner. But I do recognize that hate groups have appropriated the Confederate flag. The statues, I could care less. They are old and are in bad shape. Many would be collapsing soon.As far as the Southern cause, when I look at my family tree, the civil war divided families much like the Trumper versus the never Trumper today.

7. Anonymous June 30, 2020 / 12:21 am

Your thoughts and opinons are valid and you have every right to feel like you do and I happen to agree with you

8. Anonymous June 30, 2020 / 9:23 pm

My 2nd great grandfather, fought in the Civil war as a Union soldier from Tennessee. I do not support BLM. They care nothing about the black community as a whole. Look at Chicago. Growing up here in California, I was raised to believe (and still do) that the confederate flag represented hate, division and was racist. I have always cringed when someone here would display it. My dad, a southerner from Eastern TN, was ashamed of the south and it just bled through to my sister and I.

9. Anonymous June 30, 2020 / 9:23 pm

Now days, you can get into trouble if you do not tote the \”party line.\”

10. Anonymous July 1, 2020 / 3:27 am

My mother was from Northeast Alabama and they were Union there. People were divided in Georgia. One reason they worked so hard in South Georgia to make them feel the Confederate cause was just was the union sympathizing North GA. I've heard stories of mountain men planting a flag and the Confederates that came through left them alone. One piece of history that people do not learn is the complete devastation of the South after the war. The crops, animals, homes were burned and destroyed. The men who returned were the losers. There was no real reconstruction until after World War II. Poverty has been a problem in the South which still exists.