Mean, Ornery and Cantankerous

Thursday we were allowed to video chat with Pops while sitting just outside his window.  It was so GOOD to finally set eyes on him, and surprisingly, he looked good. His 94th birthday is on the 23rd.

We have heard though, he has not been \”behaving\” himself. They planted strawberries into the ground, and he thought they should be planted in the raised beds, so he pulled them up. He can be a handful in his old age – although from what I hear, he was quite the handful in his younger days as well. His pat statement when you ask him how he is doing –\” I\’m mean, ornery and cantankerous\”.  My husband always tells him, that statement is only funny if it\’s not true. He\’s thrown his dinner plate – yelled at workers – All in all, he can be a sweet man but he can go off. I\’m sure it is a sign of dementia although not official because they haven\’t moved him to that neighborhood. (They call them neighborhoods instead of Wards.)

The head physician from the Home, called yesterday – Apparently, Pops has what looks like skin cancer in a very private part of his body. Poor guy. He\’d been hiding it due to embarrassment. It is supposedly a simple procedure. No matter how old a man gets, he still gets nervous when you cut anything off, in that \”very private part.\” Like I said, \”Poor guy.\”

We bought him a bright, colorful Aloha shirt, deodorant, and some sugar-free candy.

We\’ve been getting out a little more. Of course, always \”protected.\” Modoc county, which Shasta County touches on the north-east corner, has defied the Governor and opened up for business. Nothing much happens in Modoc county. Ranches mostly and native Americans. They\’ve had no cases, no deaths. I just hope the rest of the state doesn\’t decide to go there and camp – bringing with them, the virus. Just let them be. The citizens of Modoc are an independent bunch anyway!

Foodie keeps telling me, that I have more of a chance, being killed by a drunk driver than the virus. He\’s starting to get a bit radical being couped up. Same with Navy. They are planning to go backpacking mid-May. They know all the hidden places that tourists do not go to – off the beaten trail – high in the mountains where there are no roads. There is a trail that is called the Pacific Crest Trail that they use. It\’s a long-distance hiking and equestrian trail closely aligned with the highest portion of the Cascade and Sierra Nevada mountain ranges, which lie 100 to 150 miles east of the U.S. Pacific coast.

The husband did some hiking – never saw another human being. He did see 2 rattlesnakes and some rabbits. He took an hour\’s nap under a big tree. He said it was one of the most enjoyable naps he\’s taken in awhile.

The risks I have taken was to go to Walmart! I haven\’t been there in a couple of months! I was surprised they changed out those creepy plastic carts to newer metal ones – cleaning them as you watch them and had organized lines. I just had to get in and out but it was better than expected. I have been to garden centers and grocery stores – as needed. About once a week. We did order out last night for dinner.

What\’s gas in your neck of the woods? Yesterday we paid $2.19 a gallon. My goodness, no wonder we had a few extra dollars in our account at the end of the month! We only filled up one time – April 3. It was $2.89 a gallon.

9 thoughts on “Mean, Ornery and Cantankerous

1. Anonymous May 2, 2020 / 8:46 pm

Pop's looks more about 80 yo tops!

2. Anonymous May 2, 2020 / 8:56 pm

My mil has dementia and I can tell you that is exactly how she acts more like 75 year old woman who has regressed into a 2 yr old. It's sad, just keeping it real.We live in Steuben County in a small town called Hornell with only 9,000 citizens (my husband thinks less now; more like 8,600) not 1 citizen has fallen ill, only the nursing home where our governor sent Covid ill patients (you read that right). We have been shut down for 8 weeks now, 8 WEEKS. ENOUGH…and our state and county parks are closed (I sure would love to sit under a tree and nap).Thank you for the smiles.

3. Anonymous May 2, 2020 / 10:32 pm

Some stations for gas are 1.99 per gallon for regular unleaded. What a great hike your husband did and even to get a nap in!! Hopefully he'll do some more soon! I don't blame Foodie and Navy for getting a bit radical/antsy being cooped in. I'm doing the same myself and have to stay off Facebook; that is something I need to distance myself from LOL. Wal-Mart here has signs on the floor directing you which way to go in the aisles. Half of the people just go wherever they want to go and ignore the signs. We were there this afternoon and it was just as busy as an average Saturday even though supposedly they are limiting the number of people in the store. betty

4. Anonymous May 2, 2020 / 10:59 pm

I like how they call wards neighborhoods.God bless your dad.I did not see my dad getting old. He died at the age of almost sixty.

5. Anonymous May 3, 2020 / 9:45 am

The last time I was actually in a store was March 11. I have done two grocery pick-ups and have another one this morning. I bought gas on the 11th and I do remember it was less than $2 a gallon, but have no idea of the price now.I agree with Foodie. I still read the obituaries and lots of people die everyday from nothing remotely related to the virus. Stay safe.

6. Anonymous May 3, 2020 / 11:08 pm

Ahh, so sorry about the cancer. I can just imagine his embarrassment as that generation kept things private. Hope things go okay for him.God bless.

7. Anonymous May 3, 2020 / 11:40 pm

I wonder how you get skin cancer in a private part area of the body but I guess it happens

8. Anonymous May 4, 2020 / 5:27 am

We had to fill up a few days ago, and it was half the usual \”fill-er-up\”. I won't get into actual prices, because that involves math of conversion. I'm so glad you got to see \”Pops\”. I bet he appreciated it, too.

9. Anonymous May 5, 2020 / 6:06 pm

its a skin cancer…maybe he did a lot of nude sunbathing. He was a wild one back in his day.