Shaming

The husband and I are keeping busy and practicing spousal distancing as much as we can during the day. It\’s like he does his thing – I do mine and we come back together at dinner and the evening. It works. We had a fire in the firepit the other night and that was enjoyable. We\’re thinking of, setting up the tent one night soon. Hey, why not? No rules here, we can do whatever we want, in our own backyard!

We\’re thinking about getting some landscaping done on our front yard – from the end of the picket fence to the street. I don\’t know. We keep changing our minds.

At the Veterans Home, the 91 yr old man that had COVID-19, died last week. Navy worked in the Covid19 side and while he didn\’t tell me, I figured it out. All total Shasta County has had 30 and now 4 deaths. They called to inform us, that they were testing everybody at the Home; employees as well. That\’s because it is a State-run facility. (Cal Vet) My other son works at a private facility and they haven\’t been tested yet, but so far so good.

We have several types of people here –

• the ones who are freaked out and scared to even open their front door. Yet they are angry and bitter with those who choose not to live in fear. They try to shame you because they believe you are not taking this seriously.
shaming – I\’m in the middle
  • Then we have the other side of the pendulum – defiantly rebellious. They try to \”shame you\” if you choose to wear a face mask.
  • Then you have me – I am not interested in how this started, or if it was some conspiracy. I deal in the here and now – one step at a time. I don\’t think this is Armageddon and it really irritates me, all the freaking you-tube videos I am being lambasted with. I do me. I am not afraid I am cautious. It all depends on where you live and your perspective.  My husband has a heart valve issue –  I am 66 and have chronic low blood pressure. I won\’t apologize, for not wanting to take unnecessary risks. I go to the store (sometimes) early in the morning and it hasn\’t been an issue. I don\’t live in a populated area.

It seems to be split over party lines. I don\’t have a party I am loyal to. I am me, always in the middle, doing my own thing. My husband leans toward the \”not afraid\” side but so far I am pulling him away, using his health situation as a slap in the face. I can objectively see the merits of both sides –

I do think our Governor has done an awesome job (even though he talks like a robot) and I\’d much rather be here, than any other state. Sure in the past, I like to joke about California and some of our politics – but I can do that. I live here! It\’s that love-hate relationship but when it all comes down to it, I love my state.

Crime in my town went down 35% since last year! Hey, Covid19 is good for something I guess.

13 thoughts on “Shaming

1. Anonymous April 28, 2020 / 9:04 pm

California is doing better than most. NYC area here is the worst. COmbination of bad advise, no sunlight, and the biggest mass transit. Everyone in NYC and who commutes to NYC uses mass transit, like riding in a perti dish of virus. Get outside, wear a mask when appropriate, and stay safe.I don't get the gloves. Wear gloves, touch virus with gloves, touch face…what is the difference.

2. Anonymous April 28, 2020 / 10:38 pm

I heard that is a common thing with retired couples. They do their own thing and then come together at the end of the day, similar to a workday. I don't shame either side though I favor more of the not afraid about it. I refuse to live in fear, but at the same time I do realize it is a terrible virus and I am very sad for anyone who has lost a loved one as a result of it or is suffering with it itself. I will take my chances when/if the time comes to go out again. I am avoiding malls and movie theaters, but heck I never did that much anyway before this. Like I mentioned on other blogs and perhaps even yours, Arizonans will be socially isolating soon anyway once the immense heat comes. What worries me is the collateral damage this is causing. Suicides will go up as people don't know how they are going to feed their families or pay their bills. Child abuse and domestic violence reportedly are going up. Teachers, who once were on the front line to be able to look for abuse, aren't in the classrooms with direct contact with students. And the list goes on.This virus isn't going away any time soon. We have to learn to live with it and get on with our lives as we deem fit. Stay home, fine. Go out, fine. I'm not happy with our governor. He has made himself really scarce the past few weeks. Our stay at home order is due to expire April 30th and he has yet to say what will happen next. His last thing was there were 3 options. Extend it, expire it, or modify it. I wish he would let us know.Son is back to work as of yesterday with anticipation of cleaning the restaurant to get it ready to reopen. I saw employees in an Old Navy working on displays the other day. I don't have any fear going out shopping for the essentials. Haphazardly we wear a mask. I'm just trusting God and knowing my life is in his hands. All my days are ordained by him before one came to be. If it is my time and if it is the virus that takes me home, I'm going home and that's a great place to be I do believe!betty

3. Anonymous April 29, 2020 / 6:33 am

When Tim and I are home together he spends a lot of time in his office which reduces the time we spend together, makes being together easier. I stay home and rarely go out although I did this morning to see the podiatrist.

4. Anonymous April 29, 2020 / 8:54 am

I totally agree. I'm also in the middle, just doing my own thing. In Germany it just became a law that everyone has to wear a mask while shopping. (which, in my opinion, is a little too late now). But other than shopping, I just use the hand sanitizer, wash my hands after the store (which I already did before the apocalypse) and just mind my own business. I saw a guy with a rubber gas mask the other day. It seemed a little too extreme, but if it helps him feel save, I say go for it! People should just stop judging others and their choices and just mind their own business. It really isn't that hard.

5. Anonymous April 29, 2020 / 9:06 am

I'm with you. I will wear a mask because even though I think I'm safe, I am not willing to risk others' health for my own comfort. Frankly, I'm a little appalled at how political this is in the US. It's a disease, people! It is not the [XYZ] party or government against your party or government. It is illness. A very, very bad, highly contagious, illness.

6. Anonymous April 29, 2020 / 10:01 am

People are crazy. And stupid. I do what I think is best for me. I cannot understand why it is anybody else's business if I see my grandkids. I will not live in fear. And why does politics have anything to do with this? Glad you are well. I wonder when I do not see posts from a blogger.

7. Anonymous April 29, 2020 / 1:05 pm

I am with your husband, Sort of in the middle but toward the not afraid side. I never really sheltered at home. I still go to work everyday, I go to the grocery store 1-2 times a week. I do wear a mask but not gloves. I make sure I use hand sanitizer when I get in the car and wash my hands good when I get home. I cleaned the groceries off only the first week after this all started but I haven't since. My only fear visiting my daughter and grandsons and unknowingly bringing the virus to them so I've been staying away. That's what I miss the most!

8. Anonymous April 29, 2020 / 4:37 pm

Very true, Betty. I don't like living in fear either.

9. Anonymous April 29, 2020 / 4:38 pm

We were just getting used to retirement. Then the pandemic. I believe its getting better – we're adjusting.

10. Anonymous April 29, 2020 / 4:40 pm

Oh my a gas mask? Yeah, if it makes him feel safer, why judge?

11. Anonymous April 29, 2020 / 4:40 pm

Seems everything is political here. It's maddening.

12. Anonymous April 29, 2020 / 4:41 pm

I am well – I wonder too, when I don't see a blogger. I just lose days and before I realize it, a week has passed.

13. Anonymous April 29, 2020 / 4:43 pm

I don't wear gloves. Seems silly to me. I'm starting to really want to see my adult kids. They work in hospitals and medical facilities. They are either safe or not safe. hahahahah. It's all a gamble.