So what else is new?

Northern California

Another employee at the Veterans Home has tested positive – although it did not come as a surprise because that person, had close contact with the previous employee. That makes 4 employees and 1 resident which pretty much makes the Cal Veteran Home a mini-hot spot. And yes, my son is right in the middle of it. Pops is doing okay in his neighborhood (wing) and it\’s been on lockdown even to some employees. If you have no business there, you don\’t get in. So I am fairly confident that he is protected…at least I hope he is.

24 residents of Shasta County have tested positive for COVID-19, including three who died.

50 inmates have been released into custody for a 14-day quarantine before going back into the community.

They are now saying, that our county might be behind the rest of the state so we may have to \”stay inside\” a bit longer. Since recreation is a big part of our economy, we keep getting city people, driving up. They had to close everything down. Even Fish and Game has shut down our fishing.

Sara is feeling \”blue.\” After months of planning the wedding, dealing with the flood in their apartment, living with us for a month they finally just made it for their wedding. Then a beautiful honeymoon in Hawaii and as soon as they got back – REALITY set in. So yeah, I get it. A major let down after being so busy. Navy is angry. Not that he has to work there but the way certain things are handled that he doesn\’t agree with. Foodie, at his Care facility, is now dealing with a scabies outbreak. It\’s always something!

My step-daughter Char sometimes doesn\’t get it. She forgets to use a mask – she keeps going out. We have to talk to her every day, to go over things with her. Because of her disability, she just doesn\’t retain any information. She forgets. That can be frustrating as well.

Almonds and poppies

Yesterday it was in the mid-\’80s. BEAUTIFUL day. I took my 30-minute power walk and sat in the sun. The husband is late in trellising our grapevines, so he\’s doing that. Today I have laundry – I may paint an old end table I am going to use on our patio. I also need to do some gardening. I have all this time, but at some point in the day, I stray off my plan and do nothing.

15 thoughts on “So what else is new?

1. Anonymous April 9, 2020 / 8:07 pm

Sigh…39 days of \”house arrest\”and counting here in western NY (we are 6 hrs west of NYC). The PD and DA office have been authorized (as of today) to arrest people now, along with hefty fines and mandatory jail for upwards of 1 year if you don't follow the orders. Let's see from our county website:92 Confirmed Cases30 Recovered14 Hospitalized6 deaths (ALL nursing home)220 Isolation/Quart./Being Monitored576 tests conducted for Steuben County502 Negative tests…and my mom who is a former CFO for a major banking corp said the numbers don't add up, which they don't. ALSO, the states are listing ALL deaths as Covid related, which they are not.Have you guys there been quarantined for long? Here, EVERYTHING has been shut down for 39 days. 7,000 deaths in a 20 million people NY State. I guess my poor attitude is showing, not meaning too…but when you are forced to comply with little recourse, its quite disturbing.I am quite concerned about the \”new norm\” that is coming up.ANYWAYS, apologies for getting off on a tangent of sorts–keeping you and your family in prayer.

2. Anonymous April 9, 2020 / 8:36 pm

I'm finding that I get bursts of ambition and then nothing for a while. It's hard to stay motivated but there seems to be a little pinprick of light at the end of the tunnel now.

3. Anonymous April 9, 2020 / 11:17 pm

It is getting harder, hang in there.

4. Anonymous April 9, 2020 / 11:30 pm

Shame Bethel closed their healing rooms (said tongue in cheek). I know only one person who has tested positive for the virus and I haven't seen her since September but she works with my DIL. (The friend has been self quarantining etc with what precautions are given to her). My son is laid back so he's handling things pretty good and enjoying the time at home with his son and stepdaughter. I'm such an introvert and I crave/love being alone and home that this social isolating is working okay. Hubby is a patient man and knows we must endure so he's enduring. What is bad about here is we are in the nice time of the year where kids can be outside enjoying parks (not this year) etc before the heat descends in about a month or so. I feel bad for them and their parents because it will be a long time before they'll be able to get out and enjoy parks again. betty

5. Anonymous April 10, 2020 / 9:19 am

I understand your fear for your family, it is a very worrying time. I have a brother with a disability who lives on his own and it is very hard to get him to understand completely what is expected but I keep trying. I hope you are able to continue to get out for a walk as that is the best way to keep healthy. Take care.

6. Anonymous April 10, 2020 / 10:38 am

I got up this morning only to discover that our Governor in Michigan has banned all travel to visit family and friends. Shouldn't that be our decision? I think everyone should get in their cars and just drive all over going nowhere. They are going to fine folks $1000 if they get caught. Why would any sane police officer risk exposure just to ask someone why they are on the road?Stay healthy.

7. Anonymous April 10, 2020 / 10:36 pm

California state of emergency started March 4 for age 65 and older amd then I think it was March 20 when it was ordered for everyone. I know, it's maddening.

8. Anonymous April 10, 2020 / 10:37 pm

Today is not a good day for me. I feel so defeated at times.

9. Anonymous April 10, 2020 / 10:37 pm

You too. It certainly is a major DRAG

10. Anonymous April 10, 2020 / 10:38 pm

Today I feel all mixed up – just bored and lazy and can't think straight.

11. Anonymous April 10, 2020 / 10:39 pm

I try and take a walk everyday except I didn't today – and that is probably why I am feeling out of sorts. Tomorrow is another day!

12. Anonymous April 10, 2020 / 10:40 pm

Yeah I heard that! I read where they are giving citations for people going to watch the sunset at California beaches – while sitting in their cars. It's getting a bit much…

13. Anonymous April 11, 2020 / 4:40 am

It's so easy to stray off the plan and do nothing! I tried to set myself a schedule, so that I can feel productive every day. But I live with a very laid back man who has no issue with me having a non-productive day.So I'm with you: I try to do the things that I could or should be doing… but nothing is getting accomplished quickly. I'm doing it, but slowly. Like working through molasses every day.

14. Anonymous April 14, 2020 / 3:11 am

I'm so sorry to hear about the 24 people who got the virus from Shasta County and the 3 who died. Please stay safe and take care, Debby. This is such an frightful time in history. But I pray and pray.~Sheri