You are not my Nanny

For those who don\’t know, I was a (live-out) Nanny for a Swedish family in the Silicon Valley 12 years ago. I was with this family for 8 years. Before that, I had my own daycare business, I ran out of my home. I made the switch when Silicon Valley was really booming and they were paying big bucks for experienced for former pre-school teachers and daycare providers. I was a single mom at the time and I needed more security. So I was hired by Jon and Anita from Sweden. They later became citizens. They had the cutest boy/girl twins that were 2 years old when I started. 4 years later they had another little baby girl. I LOVED this family and we are still in touch. Anita just called to check in on me, last week. Stella, the girl-twin emailed me. She was to graduate UCLA but no ceremony! She majored in Biotechnology and plans to take a year off and then go back for her masters. Max, is graduating from UC Davis – Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and Maya, is at UC Santa Barbara and she is pursuing a science major. To this day, these wonderful kids call me their \”Gra-nanny.\” because their one set of grandparents live in Sweden. Anita\’s parents are dead.

Okay, so because I spent 30+ years taking care of other people\’s kids plus my own 3, I guess I tend to get a bit bossy. So that is why when I do, my husband tells me, \”You are NOT my Nanny.\” to which I reply, \”Aww come on, everybody needs a Nanny.\”

My sons used to tell me that as well. \”Mom quit nannying us.\”

Okay okay – I just automatically go into \”Nanny-mode\”

I loved being a Nanny. Anita actually has an interesting story. She was born and raised in Poland and came to Sweden around 1975. She was around 5 years old.  So she speaks both Swedish and Polish. Actually, it was funny; her mother-in-law told me that Anita speaks Swedish with a polish accent and the kids speak Swedish with an American accent, thanks to me. They even say corny American expressions I picked up from my mid-west mother and my dad, who was from Eastern Tennessee.

Yep, those were good times.

15 thoughts on “You are not my Nanny

1. Anonymous April 4, 2020 / 11:27 pm

One of my SILs was a Nanny and loved it when the \”little boy\” she once cared for became a perfect gentleman and to this day still stays in touch with her!…:)jp

2. Anonymous April 4, 2020 / 11:47 pm

I hear from my husband, \”Your not my mother!\” (((rolling laughter)))–and thank goodness I am not, is usually my reply, LOL. (HEY, total of 38-39 yrs together and lately, 4 weeks of this stay at home nonsense, we can talk like that, lolol)ANYWAYS-I always wanted to be a nanny smiles.

3. Anonymous April 5, 2020 / 12:00 am

You nannyed some pretty bright kids. I think you should take much credit.

4. Anonymous April 5, 2020 / 4:23 am

What a great experience you had! Since I'm Polish I was fascinated that Anita speaks Swedish with a Polish accent. I often wonder why mom mom, who Polish was her native tongue, chose not to teach us it along with English. Husband just nanny me but he does try to manage me. betty

5. Anonymous April 5, 2020 / 9:59 am

You learn something new all the time. I have been complaining that our governor has been acting like a 'nanny'. Landscape companies are forbidden to work and now she is debating if folks will be allowed to go boating. Glad the kids keep in touch. Sounds like you did good work.

6. Anonymous April 5, 2020 / 10:23 pm

So nice to learn something new and very interesting about you. Thanks for sharing.God bless.

7. Anonymous April 5, 2020 / 11:13 pm

To be a nanny you must like children and have a fair amount of patience not a job I think I could do.

8. Anonymous April 6, 2020 / 4:03 am

I don't remember if I commented on this or not, LOL! What an experience that was! What you learned from them and what you taught them! betty

9. Anonymous April 7, 2020 / 6:34 pm

Yes, very close relationships develop when you are with them all the time.

10. Anonymous April 7, 2020 / 6:35 pm

Well, they have well educated parents but yeah, I was part of it in a much smaller way. It was a wonderful experience.

11. Anonymous April 7, 2020 / 6:36 pm

Different generation, didn't teach their children the language – I guess it was frowned upon. Sad really.

12. Anonymous April 7, 2020 / 6:37 pm

Yeah its crazy. LA mayor has a \”snitch hotline.\” to call and report businesses that are not complying and they PAID to do it.

13. Anonymous April 7, 2020 / 6:39 pm

I LOVE children and yes, I am a very patient person. I love what children teach me. I enjoy observing them. But I couldn't do that now.