Silly, BIG, clumsy, Coop

Our friendly neighbor

I\’ve mentioned Coop before – he\’s our German Shepherd neighbor who has GROWN quite a bit. We love him. His Mommie, Patty is in her 70\’s and is having a hard time with him. He just turned 1 year old. Besides tearing up the fence, he has torn up her lawn, eaten her patio furniture and dug up her flowers. He just wants something to do. She tends to be gone during the day. He\’s lonely.

Coop has taken a liken to us – we\’re in the backyard doing stuff; plus there\’s our Laydee. They like to run back and forth. This week my husband is trying to repair the fence. However, he is putting in a window, so that Coop can watch us and we can pet him. Did I mention German Shepherds are my favorite?

She is starting to consider re-homing him with a family. We would hate to see him go but totally understand. He\’s just too much DOG for her. Heck even for us. The other day, I left to do some shopping, and my husband was trying to fix the fence – he had some of those boards off. There he was trying to manage our dog and Coop, who kept getting by him (he\’s about 100 lbs right now) and running like a crazy throughout our yard. When I came home, the patio and cushions were a muddy mess with huge paw prints – our lawn was dug up and he comes over to be, standing just over 6ft and gives me a wet juicy lick! Patty wasn\’t home so we just tied a rope to his collar and I sat with him. We had to put Laydee in our van. It was comical, to say the least. Up to this point, we were starting to lean toward taking him ourselves – I had to put my foot down! NO WAY can we handle him. I just don\’t want to upset the apple cart with what we have – a cat and a dog that live together in peace- I don\’t want to re-introduce another dog who is not crazy about cats.

I really hope Patty can make it work – but if we eventually have to say goodbye, to this big lug, we\’ll have to.

11 thoughts on “Silly, BIG, clumsy, Coop

1. Anonymous December 17, 2019 / 8:20 pm

Kind of like grand-kids, great to visit but to much to handle full time.

2. Anonymous December 17, 2019 / 9:38 pm

Hi Debby 🙂 Oh Coop is so sweet, too bad you couldn't adopt him. He's still a puppy and he'll be tearing up everything for another few years I'm sure! 🙂

3. Anonymous December 17, 2019 / 11:01 pm

Coop needs training that's enforced at home. I believe with all my heart that he can turn into an ideal dog. He's filled with love, but he's bored. He needs a pack. Franklin was the same way. Once he had a pack (my dogs and me), he turned into an angel.Love,Janie

4. Anonymous December 17, 2019 / 11:06 pm

I had missed your post earlier this month. It is good to see you back. I was a bit concerned about you and all those fires. Coop sounds like a handful. I am a dog lover. But my days of a large dog are over. I've got one large one now and the rest are ankle biters. Take care.

5. Anonymous December 18, 2019 / 4:38 am

I say re-home him and the sooner than the better. Before he becomes a problem that might make it difficult to place him. Honestly, and I'm sorry, but I'm not in the best of moods right now, but what was she thinking getting a dog that was going to be a big dog at her age and with her not being around all the time? Of course he is lonely. I just hope he gets re-homed to a safe place.betty

6. Anonymous December 18, 2019 / 6:51 pm

Another time in my life, we would have. I already pay over $100 a month for pet insurance and he's bigger than my lab so that would be close to $200. We're retired now and have to be mindful of our finances.

7. Anonymous December 18, 2019 / 6:53 pm

I hear you! He does need a pack – in fact, I'm thinking he thinks my husband, Laydee and I are part of his pack; even though we are across the fence. My husband is going to try and work with him so she can keep him. Play dates at the dog park so that big puppy can run off some energy. I tell ya, he makes me smile every day he pokes his mug over the fence.

8. Anonymous December 18, 2019 / 6:54 pm

Hi Ann. I'm back (and forth) Trying to get into my new groove since the husband retired and has been home since Nov 1. You take care, too. Merry Christmas if I don't hear from you.

9. Anonymous December 18, 2019 / 6:56 pm

I feel the same way. I do like Patty but don't believe that she thought this out. Her other dog was a big sturdy dog but he was old. I think she forgot how difficult puppies can be without proper training. She needs to stay home with him.

10. Anonymous December 20, 2019 / 2:43 am