Generators, Preppers and Wind

As we watch our neighbors and friends in the surrounding towns, go dark it doesn\’t feel as comfortable as you might think.  Redding isn\’t the only town that is not on the PGE grid. Sacramento, Roseville, Shasta Lake City, and Glendale, Ca are okay. I have been trying to find those towns that are not on the PGE grid. Fortunately, Shasta County is close-knit and so Redding is helping. Opening up resource centers so people can charge their phones, take a shower and get warm. Many of the older rural residents are prepared. It is, however, the young ones, who don\’t have a clue. I guess they just always thought, they would have electricity. Now they are learning the hard way, how things work.

We are going to make a purchase of a generator before they go UP in price within the next couple of days – We\’ll have to order it – We need it mainly for storms and our sump pump in the back yard but heck, while I am grateful that we have REU (Redding Electric Utilities) I really don\’t trust no one. The Preppers we used to make fun of, are laughing at us! I remember watching some Prepper shows, and they had several \”events\” they were freaked out about and one of them was when the electrical grid being compromised. I never really thought about that. Now, everything in California is on shaky ground.

As I write, I am hearing the wind starting up again. It\’s not that bad – just the regular wind I have always heard but now they take on a whole new meaning. Wind means FIRE. Wind means power shutdowns for many. It means financial hardships for big and small businesses as well as residents. Why the frig, do I stay here? I asked my friend that on Sunday and we together agreed, that we\’re just too tired to UP and leave – leave our families and friends, leave everything. Every state has something. From hurricanes, humidity, floods, blizzards, contaminated water, crime, tornadoes…that\’s all I can think of. At least here, I know what I am dealing with and can and will adapt. Put me in another state, where we don\’t know anyone, or who hate Californians moving to their state – I wouldn\’t know how to cope. For some, they can do that. Good for them. We\’re staying for as long as we possibly can.

Someone has to stay and fight.

6 thoughts on “Generators, Preppers and Wind

1. Anonymous October 29, 2019 / 4:47 pm

Fire is as scary as it gets. Hang tough and stay safe.

2. Anonymous October 29, 2019 / 6:37 pm

Let's hope you can win the fight! I see what you are saying and its the same for my brother in law and sister in law. They have their life there; they are retired. They want out but don't know where to go. Phoenix is too hot for them, etc., etc. I get it. Hubby is a small prepper and he is very concerned aobut the state of the country right now. We have emergency food, the kind that will outlast us, stuff to purify the pool water, emergency stash of cash, and I told him if he ever thought we were getting to the point where anarchy was going to break out (and he fears that not to the point of paranoid but just shy of it) and he thinks that we need to pull all our money out of the bank, he is to call and le me know and I'll be down at the bank trying to get out as much as I can. I laugh about the way he prepares for things that he is a bit aggressive with it but when Southern California lost its power back in August 2011, he had everything we needed for candles, flashlights, etc. He is very astute keeping up on the news. Knowing him, we would have gotten a generator at the very first talk of PG and E turnjing off power if they were our power company. betty

3. Anonymous October 30, 2019 / 8:58 pm

Stay frightened yeah I can do that……….oh not what you said, my bad

4. Anonymous October 31, 2019 / 1:12 am

If we had out electricity taken away here, we'd melt. After a bit of cooler weather, we're back to heat and humidity. I see the fires on TV news. It's very frightening.Love,Janie

5. Anonymous October 31, 2019 / 10:19 am

Reading this is so depressing. I can't imagine what it is like to experience it. I don't know how one copes.Wishing you the best.

6. Anonymous November 3, 2019 / 1:52 am

Thanks for the update on your area, Debby. I know what you mean, sometimes we're just too tired to get up and move. But there are many things that I love about California as well. You're right, different states have different things to deal with. I remember when Nel was passing through Kansas, they had tornado warnings when she drove through.Hang in there. We still have power too, so thankful.~Sheri